The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Black sheep of the flie's

OK, talking to diffrent fishermen and ladies I have figured out that almost every one has a fly that they look down on, for what ever reason. I got ribbed a little about haveing a box of buggers on my lanyard the other day(no it didnt bother me) I know the guy and he was only giveing me a hard time, but talking with him he woudl just as soon not fish as throw a bugger. I dont know if some think some flies are for kids or beginers or they arent hard enough to ty or what the deal is, so heres my ? for ya'all.
What fly(if any) do you kinda look down and why? I know the san juan worm, the egg's, and a couple others are kinda commen to hear people talk smack about.
Bear
P.S. I have none, unless its a fly smeared with worm or scent or with treble hooks or live bait or power bait stuck on the hook lol
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black sheep of the flie's

Gosh Brandon, I don't know that I have any that I wouldn't fish with if the fish want them. I'll fish worms or eggs, but nymphing isn't my first option normally.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-02-2009, 12:24 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I hear ya John, I am like you. I'll fish what ever fly is working although I would reather fish a dry. I dont care if its a bass blowing up on a popper or a trout sipping a dry, there is just that something about seeing that happen that makes my heart skip a beat.
Bear
Old 05-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

No such thing as a bad fly!!! Unless it does not catch fish of course!!! LOL.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

If there is a fly to be looked down upon it has got to be the Pink Weenie! That is until you take it to a little brook trout stream and catch fish on it all day long.

I tie my Weenies on size 12 and 14 curved nymph hooks and add a gold bead. They take about a minute to tie.

The key to fishing this fly is avoiding telling anyone else that you might meet on the stream that you are fishing a Pink Weenie!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

look down on buggers?!?! haha thats my "go to" fly for bass, crappie, and gills when they arent hitting dry flies!

I know some people rip on foam bodied flies, but I love using those too!

i will use anything pretty much except, like bear said, flies with bait on them lol. then i just use my spinnig set up.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:09 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

i look down upon the fly in my jeans.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist