The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default 6 wt. nymphing rod

I want a 9'6" to 10' nymphing rod for bigger western water (think tail waters), probably a 6 wt.

I believe the longer length will help me with mending and other line control techniques. I purchased a Sage Z-axis 696 on Ebay, but have been disappointed because the tip was so "whippy."

I have a Sage ZXL 590 for dries (wonderful!) and a Z-axis 790 for streamers and heavier flies. The Sage "99" series seems to be on the right track for a nymphing rod, but overlining or buying special lines or...it's all very confusing. And at that high price I don't want to be confused.

In addition to nymphing, it would be nice to have a 6 wt. that would power the line through the strong western winds when the ZXL 590 struggles.

Suggestions?
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 wt. nymphing rod

I fished the six weight Sage 99 when it was just released. I fished it with the WF6F and WF7F Rio Indicator Taper lines. For throwing heavily weighted rigs, I preferred the WF7F Indicator Taper. All that extra grain mass opened up the loops to throw all that hardware. Another line that fishes well with it is the Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line in the WF8F configuration.

MP
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Try the Winston BIIMX. Best big river rod out there in my opinion. Firm enough rod for streamers and wind but just enough give in the tip to protect light tippet in a tailwater.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 AM

hmongtana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishngolf16 View Post
Try the Winston BIIMX. Best big river rod out there in my opinion. Firm enough rod for streamers and wind but just enough give in the tip to protect light tippet in a tailwater.
winston biimx for the win. i was gonna recommend the same rod.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Alligator, the Sage 99 corrects the "wippy" tip syndrome.
I've fished it since they came out, right next to the Z-axis, XP, ZXL, etc.
The 99 will throw dries too, but not it's main game.
Love the 6wt, but am going to stew over getting a 7wt as well.
Never have enough rods!

Jim

Bigfly