The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Just a Couple Questions

Hey y'all,
I went fishing today and the weather was pretty much perfect for fly fishing! I was out on the lake for about 4 hours and caught tons of fish today!

Anyway, the questions.

1) How would a guy take off those barbs on hooks? I have some flies my parents got me that have barbs on them and I want to get them off of there. Would the easiest thing be getting a file? or new flies?

2) I used mainly dry flies, so what floatant should I buy when mine runs out? I have the powder stuff but would the gel stuff work better?

Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just a Couple Questions

If they are light wire hooks just pinch the barb down good with flat jaw needle nose pliers, if they are heavy wire hooks you may need a file, but either way it isnt a hard thing to do, I pinch almost all my barbs down.
I carry both, the powder to dry a fly thats got wet and a gel to use before the fly gets wet.
Bear
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

I'll echo Bear's comments.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I just use my hemostats when out on the river or some needle nose like said above at home. only fish i don't pinch the barbs down on is steelhead cause they have never swallowed the hooks and plus they are huge and go crazy.. for smaller fish like bass and gills I rather pinch it tho. easier to get out of the fish, yourself and also the fish seem to not get as injured with a barbless hook. I have never had a fish die on me with a debarbed hook yet! I just have the aquel floatant liquid. never tried powder or gel. works good for me tho.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.