The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough
Default Looking to get a new rod/reel combo..

Hello fly fishing forums. I just joined this to ask for recommendations for a new fly rod and reel combo for a beginner/novice flyfisher. I have had about 2 years experience with a cheap ($70) starter combo kit and I'm looking to upgrade. I will primarily use it for medium sized trout (8-16in.) yet looking for one that is able to handle say a 22 incher. I've done quite a bit of research and I believe I would like a 4 piece 5wt 8' to maybe 8'6" rod because that seems to match my fishing conditions and I like the 4 piece for easy compact. I've been looking at the orvis clearwater II rod/reel combo but they don't make it in a 4 piece 8' or 8'6" model. However, they do have an 8'6" 4 piece 4wt. I guess my question now is, how big of a trout can a 4 wt handle?

I'm definitely open to other rod/reel suggestions too, my price range for all is around $200-$350. Also, I might not buy for a few more months, should I wait for new 2011 models to come out and then get better deals on older models?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to get a new rod/reel combo..

Between 2010 and 2011, there aren't really any radical changes in the price points that you are after. So buying a discontinued product may benefit your dollars to spend.

A four weight is ideal for eight to sixteen inch trout and can handle an occassional 22 incher. Some of us fish three weights for fish in that size range.

As for outfits, you can consider an 8'6" five weight Redington CT and Drift outfit. One of our sponsors reelflyrod.com sells it for $289.95. BigCliff wrote of a review of the rod here. If a medium action rod works for you, this outfit might just be a good fit.

If you are looking for price point products, look at Orvis (you did that), TFO, and Ross Worldwide. They have quality products at those price points.

Someone will mention Allen Products. I have no experience with the company. People seem to like its products.

MP
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisherz View Post
Hello fly fishing forums. I just joined this to ask for recommendations for a new fly rod and reel combo for a beginner/novice flyfisher. I have had about 2 years experience with a cheap ($70) starter combo kit and I'm looking to upgrade. I will primarily use it for medium sized trout (8-16in.) yet looking for one that is able to handle say a 22 incher. I've done quite a bit of research and I believe I would like a 4 piece 5wt 8' to maybe 8'6" rod because that seems to match my fishing conditions and I like the 4 piece for easy compact. I've been looking at the orvis clearwater II rod/reel combo but they don't make it in a 4 piece 8' or 8'6" model. However, they do have an 8'6" 4 piece 4wt. I guess my question now is, how big of a trout can a 4 wt handle?

I'm definitely open to other rod/reel suggestions too, my price range for all is around $200-$350. Also, I might not buy for a few more months, should I wait for new 2011 models to come out and then get better deals on older models?

Thanks in advance!
A 4 weight can handle just about any trout that most people would get into.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

I think an angler's fish handling skills play a much larger role in landing than the rod weight vs. fish size consideration. Naturally, it's not advisable to take on a steelhead with a 2-wt or employ a 14' Spey rod on a little brook trout stream. Within reasonable limits, you can land an awfully large fish on a 4-weight if you utilize your reel's drag effectively and apply the rod as a lever to tire the fish quickly.

I'll second MP's recommendation of the Redington outfits. They turn out some grand products with great feel at that price point.

the764
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Find a shop with a selection of the type rod you mentioned, 8'6" 5wt, and cast as many different brands as you can. You will find one that feels heads and shoulders above the rest.

Dan
Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

This "all around" trout rod is going around in many threads, read the "delicacy of the 6 wt" in the general discussions thread. You will get many opinions on what each weight rod is capable of. You should read up on some of these threads anyways, but I will tell you what seems to be the consensus among most in here.

You want a 5 wt if you are only going to have one rod; and probably 8'6" unless you have to have shorter. Many rods are not even made in 8'5wt.

It is difficult to cast large streamers on a 4 wt, even a fast action 4 wt, and it is very difficult to cast large weighted, or articulated bushy streamers. You will need a sombrero and a pair of shatterproof goggles if you want to swing bumbell eyed size 2 streamers on a 4 wt.

For $350 you can be fishing a premium setup if you want to do e-bay and don't mind fishing used (or closeout model) equipment. I have (both new) a Scott A3 with a Galvan OB2 setup that I put together for $370. You could look up the VT2 on closeout right now. Also, the Yellowstone shootout has quite a few less expensive rods that performed very well in their test this year. The new TFO, Winston Passport, I think are both $200-250 rods. I'd spend more money on the rod and find a reel for 100 or less.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

The St. Croix Imperial, one of the cheaper rods in their lineup scored really well in the shootout, I think it is only $160-ish. The Echo2 is being closed out for about $200 and I think they cast wonderfully, my brother fishes a 9
5wt. They are not a giant compay like the others, but it is a top shelf product, fit and finish, and fishability.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM

eatapeach1965 is on a distinguished road

I'd go 5/6wt,for the extra 'beef' if needed. It will be great for streamers through little dries.

TFO has killer rods in the $100-125 range. Then add an Orvis Battenkill or something along that line--Speaking of line add that in you'll still come in under budget...

oh....St.Croix Imperials are great..I have a 3/4 wt and love it.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough

Hey thanks for all the responses. I looked into the St. Croix Imperial and ended up also finding the Winston Passport. In a shootout, the Passport did really well, so I'm looking into that too. Anybody have these rods to compare to each other or the Orvis Clearwater? I'm assuming at this point it's all personal feel so whats right for others may not be right for me and vise versa, however, any added insights would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I started out with a Reddington and it was a great rod.

It was actually my second starter. The first i got in a $70 combo kit with flies, box, etc and frankly the rod was so horrible as to be unusable to as a noob. You have heard of fast, medium and slow actions on fly rods? Well, this one was paralyzed. It was a Martin starter kit. Before i even got on the water with it i replaced it with the Reddington and that rod took me through all my lessons, classes, first fish caught and plenty after that.

I cant recommend them highly enough to someone just starting out. Their other accessories are also of good quality.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That Passpaort got rave reviews from all the guys at Yellowstone Anglers! I'd give that a serious look, and maybe Mosca's had a chance to cast one(???). The Sage Vantage is a really nice rod, and is made in the USA.