The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for a fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi sabbatoy,

Thanks for the additional information. It makes it a lot easier to help you.

Take a look at the Lamson Konic 1.5 reel. At $119 retail you will have a good drag system at a very affordable price. The reel is a high pressure cast reel. I don't think you can beat it for price and performance.
I have to respectfully disagree. The lamson reel is a very decent reel. Great drag, almost as good as barstock, but DEFINITELY not the best price for performance! A good percentage of what you pay for that reel goes into advertising, then double the price because a third party is selling it.

Colton FLy reels is a company thats core consumer fishes their rods in the salt for striper, marlin, tuna, and EVEN mako shark. Their reels are made in the usa, come with a lifetime warranty, are barstock, and drag systems that are made for well, sharks! They even have a 23 weight rod for mako! And a (I think) 13 -15 reel for use with it.

You can get a 3-4 weight for just $110. check out CRG Series Fly Reels , the reels come in gunsmoke, gold, black and coffee. Here is some info on the reels, it has stainless steel 2 way bearings and stainless steel clutch, is double anodized, and made of 6061 barstock aluminum
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi saltflytyer,

That is a good looking reel. The design looks very familar. How did you determine it was made in the USA?

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi saltflytyer,

That is a good looking reel. The design looks very familar. How did you determine it was made in the USA?

Frank
]
From Colton fly
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM

glyeakley is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 3/4 weight Colton reel off ebay, in gunmetal grey. It is a beautiful reel, and seems well-made. When I sent a message and asked the seller flat-out whether or not they were made in China or the US, however, I never received a reply, which probably answers the question.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi glyeakley,

If you go to the Colton web site you will not find anything about where the reels are made. If I was making a USA fully machined reel from bar stock and selling it for $100, I would have "Made in the USA" all over my site. It may be a very good reel but it should not be touted as being made in the USA.

Not too long ago we had a member wanting to sell some "Made in the USA" reels in the same price range as the Colton. The member checked things out and found that it was not made in the USA like he thought. I think the reality is you can't make a $100 reel in the USA that is machined from Bar Stock.

Any chance you can post some pictures of your Colton. I would like to see the inside of the frame.

Frank
Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info. My significant other took our camera to Asia with her on a business trip but I will post pictures of the reel after May 23rd, when she returns.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Since the fish you will be targeting with that rod are definitely on the smaller end of the spectrum why spend a bunch of money on a reel when you will probably never fight the fish from the reel.

You might want to look at a simple Pfflugger reel. I used those reels thru my childhood flyfishing for Bluegill with my Father. They never failed us throughout the years & they now are proudly on display. I'm sure they would still work great even after 40+ years.

Maybe check out Cabelas, or another retailer. They are only around $30 & in my opinion they work well for the money. Can't hurt to look ??

Tie One On
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 PM

I was able to borrow a camera to get the following shots of the Colton reel. Hope these help.

Greg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...dsci0788x.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...dsci0787x.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...dsci0783x.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...dsci0781x.html
Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

actually, there's some controversy behind the colton reels. colton, the original, the same reels on ebay i think we're talking about, IS making the reels in the USA:

Colton Performance...... - SurfTalk

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

To much tension in that post. Some of those posters need to spend more time improving our GNP instead of being on that site.