The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a fly reel

I have a 4 wt 8' rod that I need a reel for. Not looking for anything overly fancy, just a working reel. I have had a few different reels and was never satisfied with any of them. Anybody got advice for one.???? Thanks, Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for a fly reel

My money gets spent on Lamson and Orvis reels. Both companies are great. One small piece of advice....unless you have money to burn, don't spend more than 150 bucks on a trout reel. For trout fishing you can find really nice reels that will perform excellently at that price point and under. Anything more is really just overkill. IMO.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Scott,

Take a look at the Lamsons. They seem to be pretty simple and I hear good things. Oh yeah, I have one but haven't used it yet.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road

On such a small rod fishing small creeks here in Michigan I don't need an expensive reel for sure, I'll look at Lamson's...Thanks, Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You can buy the bottom end around $100, never know when you'll hook a big brown.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

which reels have you had which did not measure up to your satisfaction?

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have been perfectly happy with my Sage value series reel. It's $130 bucks and the spools are only $40 I think. They perform just fine too.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 AM

Jackson River Joe is on a distinguished road

The Ross Evolution is great, not cheap but not to expensive. Super light wieght and the drag is perfect!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

There's also Islander reels. Excellent quality and you can get them with disc drag or clic & pawl. If you order from a canadian source the prices are good with the exchange rate. My .02 cents.

Marc
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

The LL Bean Mid Arbor is really a sweet reel that won't break the bank. Very smooth and quiet.
Double L Mid-Arbor Fly Reel: L.L. Bean Reels at L.L.Bean