The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   On the wading boot horizon? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/92875-wading-boot-horizon.html)

mikel 01-13-2011 12:26 PM

On the wading boot horizon?

The current thread re Montana pondering the banning of felt makes it look pretty clear that rubber soles are in most of our futures....likely with studs if we want to stay upright on snotty rocks.

Many of us have boots due for replacement. Maybe we can squeak 1 more season out of them...at least that's where I am.

Personally, I'm reticent to invest in boots while I think it's possible (based purely on hope) the boot guys might come up with a more viable solution, maybe by 2102.

Is there any reason to wait a year or so to invest in rubber soles, or is the concensus that they are about as good as they are gonna get?

Thanks...-Mike

MoscaPescador 01-13-2011 12:33 PM

Re: On the wading boot horizon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 193323)
Personally, I'm reticent to invest in boots while I think it's possible (based purely on hope) the boot guys might come up with a more viable solution, maybe by 2102.

Is there any reason to wait a year or so to invest in rubber soles, or is the concensus that they are about as good as they are gonna get?

Thanks...-Mike

Mike,
2102 is a long way. 2012 is much closer.

I am sure that rubber sole technology will get better. More R&D will be necessary. But I am going to hold out until it does or the rules here in California change.

MP

popperfly 01-13-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 193323)
The current thread re Montana pondering the banning of felt makes it look pretty clear that rubber soles are in most of our futures....likely with studs if we want to stay upright on snotty rocks.

Many of us have boots due for replacement. Maybe we can squeak 1 more season out of them...at least that's where I am.

Thanks...-Mike

Nothing is ever as "good as they are gonna get" being a Engineer there is always room for improvements or new concepts. The rubber industry is always coming up with new products but with that said higher price comes along with the new advance product your buying. So I look at it this way.

1) Do I pay now or pay more later for little improvement??
2) How long will a new pair last me??
3) What new technology have you read or heard about for new soles??
4) What states are considering banning felt soles??

The list can go on and on. I just purchased a pair of Korkers Guide wading boots with interchangeable soles. I have several choices to choose from, depending on what the circumstances are.

http://www.korkers.com/skin/frontend...rax_banner.png

dhayden 01-13-2011 02:52 PM

New Zealand band felt soles 2 years ago (I think) - so we bought some of the news Simms - they do need work.

Most places they're fine, buy real slippery rocks, you need to add the studs.

I also have the Korkers, you'll need the ones with studs too (depending on your location)

Hardyreels 01-13-2011 05:10 PM

Hi Mike,

I am about as slow to change as anyone you may ever meet when it comes to fishing gear. However I began to see the beauty of rubber and studs by the mid 1990's. I lived in the North East back then and fished throughout the winter and as anyone who has walked on snow with felt sole boots has learned they were not the way to go in winter. I quickly learned that the rubber cleated Henry's Fork boot by Orvis that I was using then was equally good at avoiding being saturated with mud and muck from the shore lines of our spring creeks and rivers also. Overall I found that once I had tried the rubber with cleats I was not likely to go back to felts and have not.

Currently I use a pair of wading boots that have interchangeable sloes so I can use a plain rubber sole on them when in our boat or on one of the rafts that we use for fishing trips. But as for missing felt or feeling that the rubber / cleats option is not as sturdy I have no regrets. The 'Clingon' rubber offered by Korkers brand seems to be good enough to keep me walking around streams and rivers here in AK. and they will probably serve you well wherever you are at. They dry fast and carry very little in the way of debris or sediment away from whatever stream you have been fishing and so won't take much along to the next.

Ard

fishngolf16 01-13-2011 05:36 PM

Simms has created a star cleat for the Vibram sole and that combination is about as good as it gets. I would actually wear this combination before any other boot, especailly in the winter.

I live near the Arkansas River in Colorado and the above mentioned combination is more than suitable. In the winter rubber soles are heads and tails above felt.

mikel 01-13-2011 06:45 PM

Thank you all for your insights. It's encouraging to hear "success stories" with Simms and Korkers because sooner or later I'll go that direction. Having never paid more than 59 bucks for perfectly adequate wading boots, the idea of forking out more than I paid for my 1st car for Simms or Korkers is a stretch for me.

And anyone who names their product "Kling on" needs marketing help.

My gut tells me to do as MP has suggested and wait another year if my old off brands can make it. If not then Korkers will probably sell a Kling on.

-Mike (member of tightwadsrus)

Glen Wright 01-13-2011 09:56 PM

As strongly as I feel about felt I'm willing to try rubber when I hear of a lot of guides on the NorCal Rivers using them. Until then I'm holding out like MP said till the technology improves or the State of CA. (My employer by the way) forced my hand. Though if I like floating as much as I suspect I will I may buy a pair for float trips.