The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough
Default 20+ Year Old Princess

Hello All,

It has been some time since I have been online so I want to wish everyone a happy new year and hope all is well.

I purchased a reel from a gentleman today that was given to him by his father. It is a Hardy Princess in unused condition.... Yeah... I know! He told me his father purchased it in England about 20 + years ago.
He was just never into fly fishing, so he decided to let it go. I am now in a dilemma. Should I fish this reel, like it should be fished. Or... should I find a collector for it. It came in the box, pouch unwrinkled. Clean as hell. I don't quite feel right about lining it up. I have it sitting on the coffee table, in the box and I can just look at it, play with it. I have received good advise from you ladies and gents before, and would like to hear your thoughts!

As always, Thanks all for your feedback. I know your out there somewhere Ard!, Hope all is well!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: 20+ Year Old Princess

I say if you don't need the money or want to sell it to get something else it was made for fish'n so fish it. However if its worth a lot of money I say sell it. I'm not much into holding on to stuff I'm not using, unless it appreciates in value.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for someone to sell it to, look up Adams Angling based out of Berkley. Either Jim will buy it from you or sell it on consignment. He will be at the Fly Fishing Show at Pleasanton at the end of February, so he will have a large crowd to sell it for you.

Personally, I would get myself an old school glass or cane five or six weight rod, and use the reel with it. It would be a timeless outfit.

MP
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a Princess and have fished with it since I got it. They are about the perfect size reel for either a five or six weight rod of any make. Unless the springs have been compressed for the past 20 years you should find a very good range of tension control for the spool also. Typically a Princess in unused condition will sell around 300 dollars.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

There are several on ebay right now. The made in England reels don't sell for more than the new models, and there's a really nice specimen that ends in 36 hours (up to $53). I'm with MP. It's a good excuse to buy a nice cane rod.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 AM

I have pulled it out of the box about 3 times, played with it and put it back in. Im going to keep it. Damn, I just cant believe the reel has not ever been fished! She is a VIRGIN!! I think I am going to get me a little Fenwick graphite, 7wt. for some Coastal steelhead (half pounders). I have to get some extra spools as well. I have been trying to find some online, but they are a little hard to come by. I am going to a fly fishing show a little closer to home in March. There I will be able to meet Jim Adams and discuss some things with him.
Fishing the reel will only be a matter of time!

Thanks for your input every one.

anyone know where i might look for some extra spools? i need a 3-1/2! Thanks!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

try ebay. i've seen all kinds of hardy reels/spools there.

ARFE
Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 AM

I will keep my eyes peeled!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

Absolutely fish it.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I agree, fish it. There were millions of them made, most are still in excellent shape and I doubt they'll ever be worth that much as collector items.

I have a couple of LRH Lightweights and they are good reels for fishing in fresh water.

Cheers,
Jim