The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Castin Saxton is on a distinguished road
Default Muskie fly line rigging

Ok, I pulled the trigger on a 10wt 9ft Orvis T3 with a large abor battenkill I also figured I would buy my 9 year old boy one as well since he has been muskie fishing with me since he was 4. I figured if I am going to start fly fishing for muskie he can learn with me. His set up is a 8wt 9ft Orvis TLS power matrix with a large abor battenkill as well. I went with the 8wt for him, becasue I thought he could use it for bass a little and also maybe some steelhead next fall.

I have a few questions regarding setups?

1) Should I put 9wt line on my sons rod?

2) I was thinking of going with the SA pike muskie line?

3) What type of backing should I use and how much?

4) I am trying to understand how the rigging works regarding fly line/leader/tippet I assume insteard of the tippet I would use some type of wire or heavy fluro?

5) Sink tip???? I am sure there will be times when I want to fish on top and times I want to fish 10 to 12 feet deep. Do I need to have different fly lines or can I just add some sink tip line to the end of my fly line and then and the leader/tippet?

I really would apprecaite any help regarding the rigging. On my steelhead setup I do not use anytype of sink tip or sinking line, I just add a little split shot to get the fly down and I normally don't fish water more than 6 to 8 feet

I don't completely understand the whole sink tip/ sinking line and how to rig it.

Thanks again in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Muskie fly line rigging

I forgot to add that I will be fising inland lakes with no moving water I will be working big weed flats, points, sunken islands. I would say I will be working water no more then 15 to 20 feet max most fishing will be done 8 to 12 feet

Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Glad to see you and your son are doing this together.
1- it wont hurt to line-up one size
2-the SA is a great line
3-Gel spun backing is great for big game as it is smaller diameter at the line rateing so you can get more on the reel,maybe? 200 yards
4- you'll use a standerd leader-tippet setup, but add 6-8 inches of wire, I belive cabelas sells steel tippet as well as big game leaders.
5- It never hurts to have a spare spool with a sink tip line, even morte so when hunting big game fish and fishing lakes, you can add a sink tip to your floating line, but it dosent cast as well.
Good luck and have fun
Bear
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road

I only use a floating line, I have a 10 wt St. Croix and use the SA Musky line in 10 wt and it casts just fine. I have used the tyger wire as a leader and like it. There are some wire leader tippit/leaders out there, but with the size of the flies used and the tyger wire, I think you would be in business. My buddy uses a sink tip and has a hard time casting it....Best of luck...Scott
Old 05-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys, keep it coming. I did do a search on sinking and sink tip but did not really find anthing regarding muskie. Most of the post about the sinking line had to do with walleye and bass. Muskies are another breed. I think I might p/u the book "Muskies on the fly" that just came out a few months ago. $60 bucks for a book though, I hope it helps me put one or maybe a few boat side this year, LOL.

Thanks again for taking the time, I know in todays crazy world time is not something we have a lot of.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Get a book entitled 'Muskie on the Fly' best book for fly fishing for muskie.
Click the image to open in full size.

Get it at Amazon, if you get it at a fly shop or BPS you pay full price.
Amazon.com: Muskie on the Fly (Masters on the Fly series): Robert S. Tomes: Books
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks MikeG, way cool, man I would have been bummed if I bought it for 60 then seen it for that price.

Thanks MikeG, may your fly fly straight and your drag not stick
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Here is the thing man...a 8 weight maybe too light for the size of flies you will want to use. I use a 9wt and at times maybe too light. I have found that the flies I make are just right for the 9wt I got. Cabelas saltwater SXT (or somthing like that). Ive taken a 40" pike on it so far. That was a good battle. But I am use to hitting big pike on all kinds of gear from an UL up to a heavy musky rod. One big question you need to ask yourself, how much experiance does your son have? Depending on who you talk to, a min of a 10 wt is needed for the size of flies and size of fish you may end up with. I think if you know what your doing a 9wt will work but an 8 maybe pushing it. DO NOT FORGET THE WIRE LEADER. Ive gotten into arguments with people on this one. Ive seen a pike bite through 80lb test brade very easily. 30# mono would be too easy. I actually make my own tipet of sorts. I first take 25# blent it to a think high impact 20# then end with a thinner abrasion resistant 20# mono. To be exact its Sufix, Musky Mono, Berky BigGame. The 3 types of mono all have their part. Casting...well it works just fine. I go from a large diameter to smaller, but end up with a section that gives for impact. I have no troubles hitting that 30+ foot cast. Wind is not much of an issue and accuracy is ok since Im still learning the rod. Ive taken hundreds of pike and some bass with this. Biggest thing is the fly and size your going to use. The 8wt rod maynot work with a fly that is too big. Good luck.