The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: head lamps?

The hat lights I like that bass pro shops carried, they don't have now - after I gave two away to friends. The have some cheap lousy ones now.

Off the point slightly but important for boat fishermen - is "Q" beams, available at Marine Supply places - like West Marine.

I carry two "Q beams" at all times on the boat in case one dies, because I usually don't come in till after dark. I cut the cigaretter lighter plug end off and solder closepin clips on the wire ends to clip directly to the boat battery. These are indispensable and about like the high beams on a car. Without them, finding channel markers and reef buoys would be a very slow ordeal if even possible. Finding the "head pins" which have blinking lights on them is hard enough even when you know where they are roughly.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i use a Septor LED Headlamp for work and play thats what they give us at work for those of us that work half their day in the dark. you can find them for $25 and really work well. it has 3 brightness settings and 7 led's.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Energizer. I actually carry a minimum of two headlamps and a small maglite with me when I have to hike into an area. Had a disconcerting experience with a cheap hatlamp in mountain lion country 3 miles from camp last year. I made it back after two hours, was tripped four times by unseen underbrush, and it was probably just nerves, but I thought I was being stalked for an hour.

That was the last time I set off into the brush without at least two lights and a sidearm.

The Energizer headlamp is an adjustable forehead light, uses three AAA batts, has five settings, including a red light, and the full power setting throws a huge amount of light for flashlight distances from 5 large LEDs. Inexpensive as well, if I remember correctly.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Petzal, black diamond, and the energizer, are the best bets for me. Red light is gooood.
I carry one every time I go out. One doesn't always know when we'll be staying late.
Several times I've left a small bike strobe going on the truck dash to help finding it later.
Generally I only carry one full size headlight, (but 3 fresh aaa's are stashed in the vest).
Also carry one key-chain light as a backup.
I also practice walking around in the dark a lot. But not in cougar country.
They tend to approach from behind, so keep rear looking radar on.
Don't want to be today's special.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

id love to be todays special for a cougar..... wait.... i think were talking about 2 different kinds of cougars.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

araitim, do the other kind of cougars attack from behind too?
In Africa the "beaters" who helped drive Lions to a hunter, wore a mask on the back of their heads to discourage rear attacks.
Been thinking of offering a line of tribal masks just for fishermen.
Maybe I should consider a line just for going out on the town!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM

LOL id buy it.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I usually have one on me, either a headlamp or one of the clip ons, but very rarely do I use it. But it is nice to know that it is there if necessary.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Petzl Zipka, but I do have the lenses for it, and red seems to be the ticket for night fishing.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine got caught on the side of the mountain behind his house one nite without a flashlight. It was a warm evening so rather than fight the briars and brambles he would make his bed in the leaves and make the last couple miles in the morning.

Sometime after midnight the hoot owls got to singing and he came down with a bad case of the hibbie jibbies. As anyone who has ever had them knows, once you get the hibbie jibbies you WILL be leaving the area in a hurry.

By the time he made it back home his face, arms and legs were ripped to shreds. I am most impressed by the fact that he was able to "man up" and tell this story to another guy...lol

Dave