The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default head lamps?

i was wondering if anyone uses a headlamp for fly fishing applications? i have a petzl that i use all the time for camping and other outdoor activities, but have never used for fishing. thoughts?

casey

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 01-14-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: head lamps?

As you know Casey I am from the greatland and most of the time I am fly fishing it is light late out if it gets dark at all. That being said I always have one in my vest. I think any of the modern LED work fine, the one I have which is also a Petzl has a red lamp and strobe. While I havent needed them for survival purposes, I can see where having a strobe will come in handy. I have used my plenty of times hiking in and out of locations, and tying knots etc in low light. For me it is a dont leave home without item in my vest.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I keep a Pelican LED light in my vest. Will clamp onto the bill of my cap or vest.

Buy Pelican VB3T 2220MOC LED - Mossy Oak | Pelican 2220MOC
Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I have had a petzl head lamp for years, they are great

On one occasion I was in a new spot, it was a flatish braided river. well a rise started just before dark and I thought heck Ive got a light Ill be right.
When the rise stopped it was well dark (alot more than it should be i thought in the south where Im from it wont get that dark you cant find your way around). well I put my light on and on the shingle bed (river gravel) every direction looked the same so I started walking up stream and getting the feeling that I was screwed the truck was some distance from the river and I was not going to just come accross it a real sence of panic started in me, eventualy I found it but it was just luck it was late dark and very cold

From that time on I have carried a powerful spot light (it is 18 high power LEDs with 6aaa batterys lasts 2hrs) that will reflect off the truck at 1/4 mile (that is how I found it but at 40 ft).

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

I use a ball cap that has a couple of LEDs in the bill.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a cap with 2 leds built in also, but I carry a little clip on with 3 leds in my vest in case I am wearing a different hat. This clip on saved me from a rattler on the way back to the truck one day.

d
Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I use a head lamp when I'm fishing during Hex time here in MI. If you use a red lense when you need light it won't affect your night vision.

Dan
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish at night all the time. I don't use a head lamp, but I carry two flashlights. A thumbnail sized single LED on a zinger in a pocket, in my vest and a mini-mag on a cord around my neck.
The last thing you want is to walk around with a light on, alerting the fish to your presence and ruining your night vision.
When you need to check your fly or fix a tangle, turn around, exit the water if possible, and use the smallest amount of illumination to do the job, a red lense with help to save your night vision.
When it's time to go, use the larger light to find your way.
You could use a head lamp if that's convenient for you, for for me it would be it the way for the majority of the night
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I began using one of the type that strap around your about 6-7 years ago. I was doing a lot of smallmouth fishing on the Schuylkill River, and had to hike about 3/4 of a mile to get to the good spots. It doesn't sound like much, but there is a lot of debris along that stretch, and walking in the dark it tough. That light eventually gave out, and I bought a Princeton Tec model. Much nicer, and much more bright at half the size. That light was made in the USA, but the newer models are now made in China. I buy U.S. made products whenever possible, so I can't recommend the Princeton Tec unless there isn't an alternative. I can recommend carrying a head lamp in your vest, however.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

We should all be carrying a light of some kind if there is any chance you will be caught in the dark. Here is a thread that reviews a lot of different lights. You should be able to find something that fits your needs.

Lights for the Trail

Frank