The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Creek Freak is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for some answers.

I bought a nice Orvis Fly rod in 1994. I have used it a little. I have 2 reels for it and tis is what leads me to that questions that are about to follow.

1. Does backing form a memory like monofiliment does ?
2. How often does backing need to be replaced ?
3.The same questions apply for the line that is attached to the backing.
What wors of wisdom can you share on those?

I am wanting to delve more into the sport and casting is my main challenge. I know that the things I asked about have the ability to hinder my casting ability.
Thank you in advance. Jeff
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Looking for some answers.

Hi Jeff,

I missed your first post so welcome to the forum.

1. Does backing form a memory like monofiliment does?

Backing does not have memory like monofiliment. But, it will get some memory over long periods of inactivity. You best solution is to get a friend or wife and pull the line out and stretch the devil out of it. That should resolve any memory it may have acquired.

2. How often does backing need to be replaced?

That is a good question. I don't really know the answer. It would have to do with how much exposure it has had to sunlight and abrasive material. Your line is 14 years old. For my piece of mind, I think I would change it just to be sure everything is good. If you decide to keep it then I would redo all of the knots just as a precautionary thing. You need to have confidence in your setup and if changing the lines helps your confidence then I think it is worth the effort and cost.

3. The same questions apply for the line that is attached to the backing.
What words of wisdom can you share on those?

Same thing here as above. Stretch the snot out of it and check the front 40' or so with a magnifier. Look for cracks or damage to the outside of the line. Make sure the end is sealed so water wont migrate up the line. If you try it and the tip sinks in a short time of use, get a new fly line.

With that said I would replace the fly line with a new one. In the past 14 years there has been some real improvements in fly line design and coatings. Get a new fly line and take advantage of the new features. You will get better performance from most new fly lines.

Frank
Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

what else...Frank said everything... and he's right
Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

what Frank said
Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
With that said I would replace the fly line with a new one. In the past 14 years there has been some real improvements in fly line design and coatings. Get a new fly line and take advantage of the new features. You will get better performance from most new fly lines.

Frank
3rd'ed

Go ahead and replace the backing, its pretty cheap. Fly lines are fairly pricey now, but just for reference, I would recommend Scientific Anglers (3M) Headstart as a starting point of the good stuff. Get the line that matches your rod and that line should serve you well for as long as you care to take care of it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.