The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:02 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default need some tackle

so im gonna go to the store tomorrow to buy some tackle. i have nothing, what are some of the essentials i will need to get?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need some tackle

a 9ft#5 rod( medium fast...easier tu use for a beginner)
a reel
a wf5f line
some leaders(not too long 9ft)
2 or 3 different tippets
some classical dries and nymphs.
that's what I'd buy first....maybe second hand tackle...
but it depends...where and what you want to fish.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
a reel
a wf5f line
2 or 3 different tippets

Like he said where & what are you fishing for????????
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
a reel
a wf5f line
2 or 3 different tippets
my bad didnt think of to say anything about myself... ha.
i already have a 9'6WT rod with a reel. ill be fishing in the provo river in utah so ill be going for trout, mainly brown if it makes a difference. i dont think i can use dry flies till june in this river, or atleast i have been told its not best to. river is high from all the snow melting. i cant afford waders or boots right now. but i came across 200 extra bucks and figured id use it on some tackle to get me started.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Clippers, leaders and tippet, chest pack or lanyard, fly floatant, strike indecaters, and flies, a pair of hemostats would be good to.
Bear
Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey mac, the best thing to do is to take your vest into local a shop and let them fix you up with what you might need based on conditions in whatever section of the Provo you plan to fish. This time of year, if the river is blown out in the upper sections by snow melt, you might want to go with sculpin patterns etc, but you should be getting golden stones and skawala stones soon- big nymphs and dries might be good, but the locals will know whether or not it's happening.

Typical stuff you might need:

license
spools of mono tippet (4X, 5X and 6X)
leader knotless 9' mono leader tapered to 4X
fly flotant
split shot
indicator
nippers ( or fingernail clippers)
hemostat to crush barbs and remove hooks, or a pair of needle nose pliers on a lanyard (or taped to a cord so you don't lose them.)
flies- local shop can hook you up, and will be the best source of info. A distant second might be a site with stream reports like this one:
Trout Bum 2 : Fly Fishing Reports : Provo River, Green River, Weber River, L.C. Ranch, Utah Flyfishing Report - Park City, Utah

It might be tough to fish without waders because of trees behind you- maybe there will be enough left over for a cheap pair of rubber hippers?

good luck,
mark
Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I would seriously reconsider the not buying waders thing. Unless you are fishing in a pond with no trees or brush around it you almost always have to deal with some obstruction to your backcast. This usually means wading to enable a backcast and to get near to your target.

I would skimp on a few condiments in order to have chest waders but that's me.

Just saying,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

To second or third what the others have said. You already have a rod and reel, so if you plan on spending $200, I'd start off with a pair of waders. You'll get alot more use out of them than from spending your money totally on misc odds and ends.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 PM

on this river there is not alot of brush on the banks, can easily cast where i will be fishing. waders are gonna come eventually just not at the beginning. only have spare 200 bucks and i have 0 tackle so waders may come in a month or so after i start working again.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mac,

Understood,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;