The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough
Default Re: World Record

Catch & Release!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A photo will last a lot longer than a mount will. Also if you release it maybe someday later on you might catch it again and it will be bigger so there is another world record.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

the only reason i ever keep fish is to eat. i dont think i would ever mount a fish. but if i caught a world record id release it after i took about 100 pics with it.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a few good pictures and then release it, maybe it will get bigger for someone else to catch.

Larry
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I totally respect everyone's opinions on this board especially when it comes to conservation and catch and release issues. I must say that I am a bit surprised that no one else on this board would mount a world record fish. I think that fish are a very important resource for everyone to share and I respect the challenge that it is for a fish to grow to a large size.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion here....I would never want to do that, I am just opening more of a conversation here. Does no one here hunt? Would you feel the same about stalking and shooting a 7 or 8 point buck? If you would shoot it, then what is the difference between that and a world record fish? I myself don't hunt, although I have wanted to for a while. What does everyone think? Good comparison or bad?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I totally respect everyone's opinions on this board especially when it comes to conservation and catch and release issues. I must say that I am a bit surprised that no one else on this board would mount a world record fish. I think that fish are a very important resource for everyone to share and I respect the challenge that it is for a fish to grow to a large size.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion here....I would never want to do that, I am just opening more of a conversation here. Does no one here hunt? Would you feel the same about stalking and shooting a 7 or 8 point buck? If you would shoot it, then what is the difference between that and a world record fish? I myself don't hunt, although I have wanted to for a while. What does everyone think? Good comparison or bad?
I am shocked that more people would not keep it. I am a catch and release fisherman, but we are talking world record.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Most people that are C&R are C&R and thats good. I am a most of the time C&R I do once in awhile keep a few fish to eat from trout to bluegill to walleye and what ever else. A fish that big would be a tough call, at that stage he is probaly at the end of his life anyway and chances of someone else catching it again is pretty slim. I belive even SOME not all of the die-hard C&R'ers would change their minds if the actually had a fish that big in their hands. People think they allways know what they would do in a situation that will problay never happen, but untill that time actually happens very few know for sure, how they would feel or act. I caught a rainbow last Oct., that was HUGE at the measurments(lenght-girth) I took he was clsoe to, if not a little bigger then the state record. I took a couple pics and revived him and let him back into the river. I do have a satisfaction in knowing I caught a fish that big, even though most do not belive me lol. Other then lenght there is no way of judging the size of the fish from the photos. I do however from time to time wonder, "what if" I had kept that fish had it weighd and certafied. I dont regret realesing it, but at tiems I do wonder lol
Bear
Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

First, I think most people would not know it was a world record. So some people would kill big fish just because it might be a world record. Anyone who would kill a world record fish would probably kill any large fish they caught. As young fishers most of us tend to take the big fish home for all to see. It is called ego. With age we learn how important these fish are and a good fight is all the reward we need.

Second, I think if a fish is of world record size it is probably in its prime, not just about to die. Killing it because it is just about to die is just justification to kill it. I don't think anyone on this forum is smart enough to know how much longer a fish has to live.

Third, for those who want a big fish on the wall it does not have to be the real fish. Measure length, girth and take a picture. You can get a great fiberglass mount.

This is a subject that is hard to discuss because it involves our emotions. A person who wouldn't kill a world record, or any big fish, probably can't understand how any one could kill a big fish. On the other side those who kill big fish don't see anything wrong with it. I do feel that most younger people who kill big fish will change with time and experience. At least I did.

Frank
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

So.....since I have started fly fishing I have never fished to catch my limit. The only fish I have killed is a 17" brown because my wife wanted fish for dinner that night. I catch and release. I want the next guy to catch the fish that I caught and to give that fish a chance to get bigger.

#1 On my home river (the South Fork of the Snake) we (Fish and Game, the local TU chapter, etc.) are trying hard to eliminate rainbow trout because they are taking over the Cutthroats which are the native fish. Rainbows are non native and are interbreeding with the Cutts. Fish and Game is trying their best to encourage harvesting of Rainbows so the Cutthroat population will rebound. They are doing a big flush from the dam after Rainbow spawning season to try and flush the Rainbow eggs out of the redds. In a situation like this would you catch and release fisherman still not harvest Rainbows? If not, why?

#2 Do any of the C&R guys on here hunt? To you, what is the difference between taking a trophy elk or going pheasant hunting, and harvesting a large fish? Why would a trophy fish be a more valuable resource than a trophy elk?

I hope this isn't coming across as argumentative, I am not trying to convince people to harvest fish. I myself release almost 100 percent of the time. After participating in this thread and thinking a little, I think that maybe the C&R dogma needs to be thought about a little instead of just being obeyed no matter what. I know this is an emotional thread, I hope we can all enlighten each other as to why we do what we do and just get ideas out in the open. I just like to think and talk about these things.

BTW Frank....Bob Jacklin, who is a very well known person here regionally in the intermountain west, lifetime member of FFF, TU, owns a fly shop in West Yellowstone, etc. recently harvested a very big fish (13 lbs. Brown if I remember). He is a catch and release fisherman and longtime friend of the Wulffs. Joan and her late husband were some of the first (a long time ago) to really teach that fish were a valuable resource and we should release them. He said it was a hard decision for him and he decided to harvest. He took a lot of flack for it from some people in the FF community. He had the fish examined by a fish doctor (something ologist.....don't remember) who said that most likely the fish would have lived another 2 years at best and was very old. Bob himself is "up in years".

Frank, I only relate that story to say that there is a precedent that says that very big fish are likely very old fish. I know that is not a bulletproof statement, but there is some precedent. Also, maybe age doesn't have anything to do with it.

Again, I hope this thread stays active and constructive!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:58 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have NO bad thoughst for people who want to C&R every fish they catch from a 5inch bluegill to a 25lb trout. I do take a little hard feeling to Franks "not smart enough" comment, my typing and spelling sucks , I know, but 2.5 years in wildlife Biology and talking to severel fishery guys about such subjects I belive does give me at least an eductated guess at such things.
If some want to C&R every fish they catch more power to them, but they should not dogdown guys who would keep a large fish or a few a year to eat.
I know SOME waters should be C&R only or at very least have the bag limiet set at only a couple fish. Mnay waters how ever are actually helped by SMART harvest. What I am trying to get at is that There are people on both ends that are way to aggresev in their thoughts, if you are C&R only, great, if a person wants to keep a fish of a lifetime to put on the wall or a few to eat every now and then thats great, but the C&R shouldnt beat down everyone that keeps a fish here and there and the person that keeps fish should not go out every day and catch all they are allowed by law and keep them. Ask any person that went to school or wildlife and they will tell you(unless they are anti-hunting and fishing which there were a coupel of those in my classes) that SMART harvest of MOST fish and game is the way to keep populations heathly. Like dorian, I am not trying to argue here, just want people on BOTH sides of the coin to take a REAL look at this.
Bear
Bear
Old 05-10-2009, 08:38 AM

No Frank, some one that would kill a big fish would not kill everybig fish or any big fish they caught. I have fish on the wall some are reproductions while others are skin mounts, I have realesed hundrads of fish bigger then what I have on the wall, not a few but 100''s , and one was a possibal state record.
Dorian the word your looking for is ichthologist, a person in wildlife biology that specializes in fish.
Bear