The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: World Record

Avatar image - 48# Redfish on 20# tippit, was an IGFA record at the time... it swam away for another day.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

GRN...I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but I would love for people to address some of the issues, the "why's". Why do we let a world record fish go, when most of us would kill a record buck (or any other type of hunting you might do)? What makes it different? What about the situation on my home river here? Would you harvest the Rainbows? Why or why not?

I really think that if people would answer some of these questions if would open up a world of interesting conversation!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
GRN...I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but I would love for people to address some of the issues, the "why's". Why do we let a world record fish go, when most of us would kill a record buck (or any other type of hunting you might do)? What makes it different? What about the situation on my home river here? Would you harvest the Rainbows? Why or why not?

I really think that if people would answer some of these questions if would open up a world of interesting conversation!
It wasn't my home water... that's completely irrelevant... I don't deliberately kill anything, ever, unless of course it tries to kill me first. In this case, at the time, I would have had to kill the fish to register the record... not something I was willing to take a life for.

Better?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bear,

I am sorry and apologize for my comment about not being smart enough. It was too broad but I was speaking about people in general. There are always exceptions. Fish biologist do have a better chance at judging the age of a fish but not necessarily when it will die. Let me try again. Only God knows when a fish is going to die! To me killing a fish because it only has two more years to live is not a good excuse for killing big fish.

I have no problem with people killing fish to eat but it should not be the big fish. Nor should it be Wild Trout or Wild Steelhead.

Bear, my comments were not directed at you personally so please don't take offense at my opinions.

Frank
Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Release.
If you Google world record large mouth; Dixon Lake; you will see the controversy over their documentation before they released it.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
It wasn't my home water... that's completely irrelevant... I don't deliberately kill anything, ever, unless of course it tries to kill me first. In this case, at the time, I would have had to kill the fish to register the record... not something I was willing to take a life for.

Better?
Not really. The home water thing was referring to a post made earlier in this thread. A situation here on the SF of the Snake where Rainbows are replacing the native Cutthroat population. The details are on an earlier post. I was hoping people who are strictly C&R, such as yourself, would read it and shed some light on the situation from your point of view. I think you might have misunderstood.

As far as not killing anything, ever, yeah that is better. Your consistency makes a lot of sense to me. I would be really interested to hear from some of the other people here on the board who are hunters and who also practice strictly C&R. Again, I just think it opens up interesting conversation and a chance to really examine why we do what we do.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
Not really. The home water thing was referring to a post made earlier in this thread. A situation here on the SF of the Snake where Rainbows are replacing the native Cutthroat population. The details are on an earlier post. I was hoping people who are strictly C&R, such as yourself, would read it and shed some light on the situation from your point of view. I think you might have misunderstood.

As far as not killing anything, ever, yeah that is better. Your consistency makes a lot of sense to me. I would be really interested to hear from some of the other people here on the board who are hunters and who also practice strictly C&R. Again, I just think it opens up interesting conversation and a chance to really examine why we do what we do.
Dorian,
We have somewhat similar situations where there is crossover of warm water species in what have historically been prime, classic northeastern wild LL Salmon and A strain Brook Trout waters (Brook Trout that are much closer to an Arctic Char than the run of the mill EBT). It's not only suggested that you kill the warm water species if caught, in some places it has become LAW. I'm not big on killing stuff, and in many of the cases here I'm not 100% on board with the management techniques and perspectives. Much of the crossover we're experiencing is a natural phenomenon... so I avoid putting myself in situations that create a conflict between my values and the law... and will have to play it by ear if I ever fail such avoidance.

I know a friend of mine in CO quit fishing some areas (RMNP area?) because the introduced EBT population was hammering on the wild Cut population, and I believe they became a mandatory kill if caught. Typical management blunders... I stay away from politics, gets me too pissed off.

Is that better?

TL's~

Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

I am not a true catch and release guy. But I do release 99% of the fish I catch, mainly because I don't want to carry them. I carry a waterproof camera whenever I go fishing, so if it's worth a shot or not I can take a picture.

Now in regards to a World Record...... it would depend on how close I am to my transportation. If I have to carry the fish for long distance...it's "click, click.... and back in the water. If I have transportation...it would probably be how I'm feeling at the time.

It's no different than when I hunt (Yes, I do hunt...birds, small game, and large game). To shoot is my choice.

To catch OR release is my choice. God gave us free will. Good or Bad.

We all have the option of releasing the 'huge bugger" or taking it home and eating the same.

Frankly, I just like catching fish and really don't concern myself with records.

To tell a fish story: A few years ago I caught a very, very large smallmouth bass. I had a whale of a time landing him. I had so much fun catching the thing (20+ min) I let him go. My 2 son's, (witnesses) could not believe I let the thing go. My youngest harped on it for so long I made him keep everything he caught. By the end of the day after dragging a dozen+ fish on his stringer downstream and then back up stream, he realized why I let him go. At least a reason I let him go.
I had nothing to measure the fish with, nor a camera to take a picture. I know it was at least 24". That was based on the length of my flyrod in comparison with that fish. Just being curious I looked up the VA record smallmouth bass. I still think today that I would have beaten that record.

Oh well...But I ramble. Sorry.

Larry
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
Dorian,
We have somewhat similar situations where there is crossover of warm water species in what have historically been prime, classic northeastern wild LL Salmon and A strain Brook Trout waters (Brook Trout that are much closer to an Arctic Char than the run of the mill EBT). It's not only suggested that you kill the warm water species if caught, in some places it has become LAW. I'm not big on killing stuff, and in many of the cases here I'm not 100% on board with the management techniques and perspectives. Much of the crossover we're experiencing is a natural phenomenon... so I avoid putting myself in situations that create a conflict between my values and the law... and will have to play it by ear if I ever fail such avoidance.

I know a friend of mine in CO quit fishing some areas (RMNP area?) because the introduced EBT population was hammering on the wild Cut population, and I believe they became a mandatory kill if caught. Typical management blunders... I stay away from politics, gets me too pissed off.

Is that better?

TL's~
Yeah, thanks. You stated your opinion very clearly. It must be hard for you to have to stay away from certain waters because of the policies that people are making and you wanting to stand true to what you believe in. I respect that. It seems like an easy decision for you though.

I would still love to hear from others who hunt and aren't against killing/harvesting other animals, but are C&R fisherman.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:44 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi My name is Neil & I'm a catch release fisherman..........

99.9% of the time I release everything but if I have a bleeder or a fish I can't revive I'll quickly kill it & I'll have it for dinner.
As a hunter when I kill an animal it is not for a trophy or wall mount. I will consume what I Kill. I went thru the moral dilemma on hunting when my kids reached 9-10 & their peer pressure was even affecting me thru them. I got sick of explaining myself to some half ass ex hippie flower child parent so I started avoiding those people that would try to change my life & make me feel guilty...I finally figured out that hunting & fishing were personal choices & none of their business so now I can laugh at them.
That said, I don't fish for trophys..... I fish with some people who like to eat fish & kill conservatorily.( meaning that they don't kill every fish they catch) & I occasionally keep one so I'm not anti killing fish but I don't want to kill a fish to parade around & eventually put on a wall. I almost always carry a waterproof camera with me on the stream so a tape measure & a camera are all I need to remember that record fish I caught.
All that said ,,, put me down for releasing the fish... I go fishing for personal satisfaction not gratification from others......IMHO

Neil