The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   World Record (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/9336-world-record.html)

morphius 05-08-2009 12:39 PM

World Record

I had a question. Would you release a world record sized fish or would you kill it?

rmooney 05-08-2009 01:08 PM

Re: World Record

release. without a second thought.

MTskibum 05-08-2009 01:09 PM

Tough call, the mount would be worth enough money, and i am poor enough that i might have to keep it. I would then sell the mount to cabela's or someplace like that.

I know that a taxidermist can do a mount just based off a picture, but i dont think that it would be worth as much money.

arfishinbear 05-08-2009 01:59 PM

If done right I belive you could get it verafied and released alive, with the rigth care and equipment. I think that for the IGFA if you have certafied scales and a witness you can realese it on sight. I mean if your in a stream up the high country or some place way out in the boonies it would not be posibale, it would be a tough call for me, but would most likely realese it.
Bear

jpbfly 05-08-2009 02:31 PM

I'd release it...I haven't killed a fish for years and can't do it anymore...I 'd keep that great moment in my "memories box"

troutdoorsman 05-08-2009 02:32 PM

Very few times will you see or hear of me killing a fish and if I do it has to be pretty much a survival situation so for me it would be released after a few good pics. Let it go and see how big it gets if someone else has as good of luck in catching it.

dorian.ducker 05-08-2009 03:05 PM

Well here we go....first of all let me say that I am a catch and release fisherman %95 of the time. I have no problem taking a trout home every now and then for dinner, but I RARELY do that.

If I caught a record fish I think I would mount it. Remember the question isn't just about a BIG fish, but a RECORD fish. If it is a record fish I think it would be a great accomplishment as a fisherman plus....if it is a record fish it is probably old and going to die soon anyway right??

arfishinbear 05-08-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorian.ducker (Post 59204)
Well here we go....first of all let me say that I am a catch and release fisherman %95 of the time. I have no problem taking a trout home every now and then for dinner, but I RARELY do that.

If I caught a record fish I think I would mount it. Remember the question isn't just about a BIG fish, but a RECORD fish. If it is a record fish I think it would be a great accomplishment as a fisherman plus....if it is a record fish it is probably old and going to die soon anyway right??

More then likley yes it will. Even if it lives another couple years, whats the chances of someone else catching the thing, it's not like world records get broke every year or so, hell most state rec. dont get broke to often

lifesaflyin 05-08-2009 05:29 PM

it would be put back.

the top gun fish fought long and hard to get to be the biggest, probly longer and harder then i have fished. In my eyes it deserves to be let loose. its the king not me.

Pocono 05-08-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmooney (Post 59195)
release. without a second thought.

Agree with rmooney. Measure it and have it cast as a fiberglass repro, if you'd like to be able to enjoy looking at the fish after the catch.