The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 12:39 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default World Record

I had a question. Would you release a world record sized fish or would you kill it?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: World Record

release. without a second thought.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Tough call, the mount would be worth enough money, and i am poor enough that i might have to keep it. I would then sell the mount to cabela's or someplace like that.

I know that a taxidermist can do a mount just based off a picture, but i dont think that it would be worth as much money.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:59 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

If done right I belive you could get it verafied and released alive, with the rigth care and equipment. I think that for the IGFA if you have certafied scales and a witness you can realese it on sight. I mean if your in a stream up the high country or some place way out in the boonies it would not be posibale, it would be a tough call for me, but would most likely realese it.
Bear
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd release it...I haven't killed a fish for years and can't do it anymore...I 'd keep that great moment in my "memories box"
Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Very few times will you see or hear of me killing a fish and if I do it has to be pretty much a survival situation so for me it would be released after a few good pics. Let it go and see how big it gets if someone else has as good of luck in catching it.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Well here we go....first of all let me say that I am a catch and release fisherman %95 of the time. I have no problem taking a trout home every now and then for dinner, but I RARELY do that.

If I caught a record fish I think I would mount it. Remember the question isn't just about a BIG fish, but a RECORD fish. If it is a record fish I think it would be a great accomplishment as a fisherman plus....if it is a record fish it is probably old and going to die soon anyway right??
Old 05-08-2009, 03:32 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
Well here we go....first of all let me say that I am a catch and release fisherman %95 of the time. I have no problem taking a trout home every now and then for dinner, but I RARELY do that.

If I caught a record fish I think I would mount it. Remember the question isn't just about a BIG fish, but a RECORD fish. If it is a record fish I think it would be a great accomplishment as a fisherman plus....if it is a record fish it is probably old and going to die soon anyway right??
More then likley yes it will. Even if it lives another couple years, whats the chances of someone else catching the thing, it's not like world records get broke every year or so, hell most state rec. dont get broke to often
Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 PM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road

it would be put back.

the top gun fish fought long and hard to get to be the biggest, probly longer and harder then i have fished. In my eyes it deserves to be let loose. its the king not me.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
release. without a second thought.
Agree with rmooney. Measure it and have it cast as a fiberglass repro, if you'd like to be able to enjoy looking at the fish after the catch.