The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default float tube fins?

a question,
ive had a float tube now for a couple of years.
i love fishing in it but i think that the maneuverability of my tube may be lacking as i use the outkast standard fins?
so, i was wondering what kind of success anyone has had with different types of fins, diving,swimming etc.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: float tube fins?

Take a hard look at float tube model Force Fins. Not as fast as dive fins, but you'll last longer throughout the day. It only thrusts on the up stroke. There is little or no resistance on the down. You'll probably be sticker shocked first, but they are well worth the money.

MP
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Take a hard look at float tube model Force Fins. Not as fast as dive fins, but you'll last longer throughout the day. It only thrusts on the up stroke. There is little or no resistance on the down. You'll probably be sticker shocked first, but they are well worth the money.

MP
All true, plus you can walk short distances in them without doing a face plant. Much less tiring than dive fins. -Mike
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

What MP said about Force Fins. The Dave Scadden fins that fold back look good for the times that you have to get out of the water.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I suggest Omega Aquatics Omega Flipfins. I got a pair about two years ago to make getting in and out of the water at a few of my favorite lakes easier. Slightly less pricey than Force Fins (which I have used and would also recommend), they provide nearly the same thrust with the bonus of being much safer to walk around in.

Here's the link if you want to see pics: Flipfins - Patented, award winning, high-performance scuba fins, swim fins, rescue fins, military fins, Special Forces fins, dive fins and fins for float tube and pontoon fly fishing. The world's only fins that provide total mobility in and out of t

Also, Cabela's carries Omega, which is where I got mine.

P.S. I have used Force Fins, and like them alot. Lightyears better than the outcasts I started with. I picked up the Omegas simply because many of my favorite lakes have very steep, rocky banks, making walking at all with any length fin sticking out in front of my foot at least awkward, and in some places, dangerous. Side-by-side, I think the Force Fins generate more thrust with less effort and it is easier to rotate your tube about the vertical axis with FFs. Either way, you'll get a far superior fin to the ones you've been using.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 01-15-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I really wanted to buy some of those omega fins but they don't fit over wading boots. They say they do, but they don't.

I bought a used pair of force fins for $75 and they are better than most of the other short float tube fins, but they don't give all the power you can get from dive style fins like the creek company fins I used for years.

The creek company fins also won't fit on your wading boots, and they are impossible to walk in so you either have to walk around in your bare wader feet or swap out of boots. Also, wearing them for any real amount of time will kill your toes.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Hmm. They fit over my wading boots, with a fair amount of room to spare.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Hmm. They fit over my wading boots, with a fair amount of room to spare.

What size boot? I tried it with size 12s at cabela's and it was a big nope.

*EDIT*

Hmmm, it see you are probably right since these fins come in different sizes. When I looked at them at cabela's I knew very little about them and so did the guy in the fly shop. There was no size listed on the fin package that I saw and like I said, boots wouldn't fit, but the link you posted show them in different sizes and a size XL should fit my wading boots.

Last edited by mudbug; 01-15-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I got's me sum noo informashion
Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 PM

I wear sz 11 wading boots. My fins are XL. The size is printed on the bottom of the boot part of the fins along the back edge.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
What MP said about Force Fins. The Dave Scadden fins that fold back look good for the times that you have to get out of the water.
Dave Scadden's fins are Omega Fins, however, Omega is a separate company. Perhaps Omega makes the fins for Scadden? IDK, however, Scadden's fins are about $20 less expensive than what appears to be the same fins at Cabela's.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi caseywise,

Another vote for the Force Fins. The adjustable would be my choice.

Frank