The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 PM

skansasc will become famous soon enough
Default Southwest Missouri Fishing

I will be going to Missouri this spring and was wondering if anyone knew any areas around Branson that would be good for a beginning fly fisher to catch some trout? Size really doesnt matter, but I would like to have a decent chance of catching a trout. Being from Kansas, I rarely get the opportunity to catch trout, so I am really looking forward to this opportunity!
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Southwest Missouri Fishing

When I lived in MO I used to hit Lake Taneycomo a couple times a year with my dad and brother. That was 20 years ago, but there were some monster browns in that lake, as well as the 1.5 million bows they stock in there every year. In the summer the lake was crowded with tourists and boaters, but this time of year it should be quiet. I'd say google for a flyshop on the lake and go from there. You might even get a discounted guided trip, as this has to be the slow time for them.

There's also a couple of rivers in the area, but I don't remember the names of them anymore.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Lots of places.. Taney is the start of the white river system. Just below Taney is some really great wade and floating fisheries. Here are several Threads on Mo fishing...

At Fort LeonardWood

Roaring River Missouri - Fall in the Ozarks

Below Roaring River

Crane Creek Mo. Anybody fished there lately

And March 1st is opening trout season. Several of us have a tailgate party and we call it fishing for the 1st. We stand side by side and pass a flask around and actually catch a fish or two.. It is a tradition and has been in carried on since the early 1900's.

Have fun... Taney is a ball and several good shops and guides exist. There is on guy that focuses on night fishing and gets some serious trout.

Good Luck.
CritterGetter

I missed another link I always go to. Walt of Missouri Trout Hunter has a site with other links and blog sites for Mo fishing.
http://www.missouritrouthunter.com/Links.htm

Last edited by crittergetter; 01-17-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

All the buzz I've been reading about is the Current River, just south of Rolla, MO.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I bet if you stop in at the fly shop inside BassPro Shop's flagship store in Springfield they could turn you on to some fishing. Word to the wise: put blinders on and leave your credit card in the car before entering that store.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I bet if you stop in at the fly shop inside BassPro Shop's flagship store in Springfield they could turn you on to some fishing. Word to the wise: put blinders on and leave your credit card in the car before entering that store.
He's not kidding about leaving the credit card in the car, but don't put the blinders on, there are alot of cool things to see in there! indoor trout stream, waterfall, and plenty of taxidermy. I also like to go into the high-end gun room when I lived in springfield; just to drool and dream. I didn't realize how much I depended on that place until I moved away from Springfield. I lived 2 miles from them, I bet I was in there once a week!

They sent me to the White river where I caught my first trout on the fly. I was rather inexperienced when I was there so I can't offer to much expertise. Tanycomo is a huge trout destination as is the white river. I would beware of some information you get about MO trout fishing, it seems as though it is a little drummed up in my opinion. I traveled SW MO for a whole summer looking for their supposed "blue ribbon" streams and found them to be pretty dissappointing. Especially the "pay to play" fishing like Bennett Springs. I showed up after an hour drive and never even got out of the car. I was so depressed at the sight of Bennett Springs. There were 10,000 trout in a pool behind a dam and 150 fisherman standing there fencing with the fly rods.

If you don't want to end up in a river with no fish, or the situation described above I would make sure you get some first hand information. I can vouch for the White river, at Rim Shoals; that really is "blue Ribbon" water.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Springfield BassPro

I used to have to spend a week at the store during their spring wild turkey extravaganza...thank heavens for that cool bar upstairs with the huge, long saltwater tank behind it! Often just me (hiding out) and all those lovely wives sipping their margueritas, waiting ever so patiently for their husbands to get done shopping.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I spend so much time at the bass pro that it's not even funny, and I dont have the money to spare that i've been speinding there. anyway, see if you can find a trout map of MO as they are very helpful. Taneycomo, roaring river, Bennett and the current are all fishable I believe from Branson. That and Bransons a great place, I go 4-5 times a year.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM

skansasc will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the suggestions! Ive been to the Bass Pro several times, and I dont have any plastic money (good thing). This was all pre flyfishing for me, so I dread how much cash to bring in now that I am hooked on fly fishing!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 PM

jmurphy is on a distinguished road

skansasc:
You can't go wrong as a beginner fly fisherman on Lake Taneycomo in Branson; especially if Branson is your vacation destination to begin with. Taneycomo is the tailwater of Table Rock Lake and runs right through the heart of Branson. I fished Taneycomo this weekend and caught over 40 fish varying in size from the standard truck trout to a six pound rainbow. Here is a link to a great guide out of Hollister, which is the town on the other side of Taneycomo: Chartered Waters Trout Shop and Guide Service -- Provided by VisitMO.com

I've used Brett at Chartered Waters before and he wore my arm out on a half-day trip. The link also has a coupon/discount.

And I have to respectfully disagree with @ausablebrown. I have fished nearly all of Missouri and Arkansas' trout streams. I thoroughly enjoy the trophy water of the Current and Meramec Rivers and others in Missouri. Regardless of where you go (Missouri, Arkansas, Colorado) pay to fish is usually a disappointing experience, especially around opening day.

Have a great trip. Let me know if I can help with anything else!