The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 03:38 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Best knot to tie tippet to fly?

Fly Fishing Knots - The Last Link - MidCurrent

The article stated that the Nonslip Mono loop was the best choice for loop knots and the Orvis knot the best choice for a knot.

I have always used the Duncan/Uni-knot with an occasional use of the forceps clinch knot for cold weather with gloves. I do recall someone mentioning the use of the forceps with the Duncan knot and I tried it and it does work. So I am currently a strictly Duncan/Uni-knot user.

My choice has always been a fast, easy to tie knot (with and or without forceps or tweezers). My eyes having deteriorated over a number of years, I can tie the Duncan in low/no light.
I can see the loop being very effective for giving more action to the fly, but right now I cannot tie that knot as fast as I can the Duncan and the light requirements are becoming a necessity. My contention being that the more time the fly is out of the water the less fish I have a chance to catch.

I have been practicing and plan on trying the non-slip mono loop this season. If I don’t notice a difference I’ll probably go back to the Duncan knot and view the article as “nice to know info”.
I cannot recall any incident of failure that I can directly point to a bad knot. I did like the idea of the “third hand”.

I am interested in others opinion regarding tippet to fly knots.
Have your experiences been the same?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best knot to tie tippet to fly?

I most cases, the 'best' knot is the one that you tie well and have confidence in.

In my case, for a loop knot, it's the non-slip mono
I've never had one slip or break and it's easy enough to tie.

As for the eye-sight issue, I got tired of juggling bi-focals, reading glasses and sun glasses on the water and got myself some Flip Focals this year. So far I like them alot

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:47 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

I'm a huge fan of the Davy Knot...which I learned to tie a few years ago. Before that I always used the improved clinch. This knot is so easy and quick...and I particularly like it for smaller dries...very limited "knot bulk" at the hook eye.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Got to second the Davy knot. Simple/fast to tie, very little waste.

Scott
Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

And when it comes to loop knots, I like the Rapala knot. Field and Stream did some testing, published in their February issue, and had it on top for terminal loops. It broke at 89% of the unknotted breaking point of the tested line (8lb mono) while the Nonslip mono loop was 86% (close) and the Duncan (5 turn) was a scary 60%. I've been using the Rapala knot for a long time and have not had it fail me yet. (Having said that, I'm screwed on my next good largemouth).

The terminal knot they liked was the Six-Turn San Diego Jam, an impressive 94% of breaking strength, but it seems too bulky to me for flies. I personally use a Five-Turn Clinch, but that Davy's looking pretty good for these old eyes. I think I'll field test it tomorrow.

Sep
Old 05-11-2009, 11:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Duplicative Thread

This thread is duplicative of another older longstanding thread under Forum Polls: "Poll: What knot do you tie your fly on with?"

I'd suggest anyone interested in this topic check out this other thread, which will have a lot more relevant discussion on this same topic due to its longevity.