The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 04:57 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Drag

I am looking at buying my first rod and reel. I have narrowed it down to the Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo 6w and the Cabela's Three Forks/Cahill Fly Combo 6w. I am leaning towards the prestige plus because I like the extra capacity. It says they both have a moderate/fast action, I think that has something to do with drag. Is moderate to fast good for smallies and panfish? or can that be adjusted?
Thanks, Cabot
Old 05-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drag

Cabot: The description "moderate to fast action" refers to the action of the fly rod. For beginners I would recommend staying away from fast action rods as the faster the action of the rod the less forgiving it will be in the timing of the casting stroke. A moderate to fast action rod should work fine, but it would be nice to try casting first. I read through the reviews and most of the people that took the time to write a review, like both packages. Are you buying this online or do you have a Cabelas close enough where you can actually feel the rod and reel? I didn't see where it talked about the drag on the reel, but I would guess that at that price point it is a clicker style, but could be wrong.

I would recommend doing an online search for a Trout Unlimited chapter in your area or maybe asking the local fly shop if there is a fly fishing club that is local. You will learn the art of fly fishing much faster with the help of others that have been in the sport for a number of years.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry
Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

hi bkiu002 (What a handle)
Here's a site with some rod terms & differences explained. It should help. If you have anymore questions just ask.
Fly Rods : Summary of Bamboo, Graphite and Fiberglass Fly Rods

Neil
Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 PM

There doesn't seem to be a trout unlimited chapter very close to me because the closest trout stream is about 40 miles away. My area doesn't seem to have a lot of fly fishermen (most troll for walleye and pike or bobber fish for sunnies). The closet place for lessons I've found is about 60 miles away so I am pretty much on my own. So I will probably ask a lot more questions on this forum before the summer is over.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 PM

After reading that again I was wondering am I confusing the action with something else? I thought that was what controlled the drag? Sorry but my knowledge of fly fishing is very limited.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

On a spinning reel the drag adjustment controls the force needed to pull line off the reel by the fish.
Most flyreels have a drag adjustment to control this same issue, usually a
cork or metal pressure plate to put resistance on the spool as it turns in only1 direction, that being as the line is pulled out by the fish & the reels are free wheeling in the reel in direction.
Now the drag most people are talking about in fly fishing is the reaction of the water, different currents, on your fly line & leader & how it affects your fly's drift. The ideal drift is without any drag at all. If your leader & flyline are in front of your fly & bellying & pulling your fly in an unnatural manner, that's drag. You can control drag by flipping your flyline to a position where it doesn't affect the fly's drift giving the fly a more natural presentation to the fish. This is called mending the line & it's something you'll have to practice.
There are 3 basic types of rod actions & the easiest way to picture them is
Slow: As you cast the whole rod bends & flexes
Medium: As you cast the flex is more in the upper 2/3 of the rod.
Fast: As you cast the rod flex is more in the upper 1/3 of the rod.
This is a pretty basic description to help you visualize what they mean when they talk about a rod's action..
I hope this helps
Neil
Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

There are some excellent casting videos on YouTube, just do a search on YouTube for fly casting and that should get you some great visual information on how to correctly cast a fly rod. Good luck.

Larry
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The "moderate fast" action refers to the rod as Fishn50 described, and should be fine.

You've gotten great advice about looking for a fly fishing group. You can do a search to see if you can find any clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers here:
Locate a Club

and Trout Unlimited has chapters all over the place, at least near areas that hold some trout: Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Both groups usually have casting clinics, group trips and share a lot of info about local waters, techniques etc. And it's a great place to meet some new fishing buddies.

Keep asking questions here too as they come up, you'll get a lot of helpful advice.

mark