The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stillwater vs. the Rivers

I like casting upstream as well, but..... In a month, the Delaware River is
going to slow quite a bit, and the current will be a trickle in many areas.
Same with the Atlantic. I lived in/on Ocean City, NJ for during the 1990's,
and many days the ocean was like a lake. We sail Barnegat Bay, NJ, and some
days it's like a lake, and others the current is moving faster than us!

24 hours of daylight....Awesome!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Lubina is on a distinguished road

The choices are easy when one doesn't have any small streams and rivers nearby.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Stillwater vs. the Rivers

I like both. Fishing still waters has ALWAYS added to the learning curve, for me.
I stared fishing both early on in my FF journey. When I started taking my son Michael with me, it was a lot easier for him to catch fish on lakes here in the Eastern Sierras. And yeah, he started with worms and Powerbait, progressed to a fly and bubble ( I still use that technique if I'm not fishing from a boat or tube) and finally to using a 10' fly rod.

It has its' rewards...

http://planettrout.files.wordpress.c.../dadvirbig.jpg

He now does better than me on lakes...go figure?

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Stillwater vs. the Rivers

BTW...

This is one of Michael's fish from the same location on a different trip. It is at Little Virginia Lake near Bridgeport, CA. Both of our fish were caught on a Peacock Herl and Partridge # 14-#18.

http://planettrout.files.wordpress.c...gtroutlake.jpg

This guy's patterns kill for lake fishing:

www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fishing Stillwaters

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

I was going to post a similar thread but decided to do a search first.

I am really surprised at how many people don't enjoy the challenges of stillwater. Of course I love rivers and streams. Having said that, I'd be willing to bet that many of you that don't like stillwater fishing are intimidated by the seemingly randomness of open water.

Just like rivers and streams, stillwaters provide pockets where the big, bad boys hang out. In a river and stream, the feeding alleys, the shelters, and the prime lies (both feeding and shelter) are usually clearly defined. It is pretty easy to read compared to stillwater.

In stillwater, you have to adapt to the season, but there are definite areas where the fish concentrate. Just to give you an example (other than ice-out, which everyone already knows about), during the colder months there is usually a strata of water that is below the surface that stays insulated from the cold air and wind. This strata is not so deep that it doesn't get sunlight. If you fish too deep, the water gets less sunlight, less photosynthesis, which means less oxygen and bugs. Sometimes the seam can be four or five feet in depth, sometimes it can be as narrow as a foot or less. Using an intermediate sinking line with a relatively slow sink rate and an appropriate stripping technique for the fly you are using can result in some of the biggest and funnest fish you've experienced.

For those of you that have read Denny Rickards books, I know I am pretty much regurgitating what he wrote, but I can add my testimonial to it. Stillwater gets a bad rap and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that people get comfortable/skillful with rivers and streams and are content to not take it any farther.

I've never been spooled in a river. I've been spooled at Henry's Lake and there was not a darn thing I could do about it. I might as well of hooked into a 30' bayliner, I set the hook on a black maribou leach pattern and that was all she wrote. That fish never even surfaced to give me a look at what it was. I hooked it in shin deep water, I saw a wake for the first ten yards as it was headed out to sea (so to speak). That fish stripped off 75 feet of fly line, 225 yards of backing and never even collected $200.00 as it passed Go. I still lament using 3X tippet on that lake to this day. I never knew what it meant to 'bow to a rise' until I got into some good stillwater action as well.

Come to think of it, I've only ever gotten into my backing on a river once. That was at the San Juan when I tricked an overweight, 2' rainbow into a tug-of-war.

I love rivers and streams, but stillwater has so many redeeming qualities about it that it is naive to dismiss it as, "That looks like it just sucks".

I hope my post doesn't come across as harsh, I am just honestly surprised that there aren't more stillwater affectionados out there. Maybe the stillwater freaks are content to let the moving water guys post misconceptions to keep the crowds away.

On second thought, I agree that stillwaters suck.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

I am just getting back into fly fishing after several years of playing responsible adult. I have, and primarily will fish rivers/streams, however when I was a youngster my father and his cronies fished the high country lakes after dark. Big fish would move into the shallows during the night when the moon was on the water. We did have a great time blind casting into the night, and listening to the slosh of large trout in the grass along the edge.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

very well put, i also love just at dusk, your putting a dry out and wham everything turns from quiet to pure and amazing bliss as a large brown or rainbow sucks your fly off the surface, even better when it is a pattern you just tied and had a challenge making as quality as you can. loving it very good topic. tight line's to all.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:24 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
very well put, i also love just at dusk, your putting a dry out and wham everything turns from quiet to pure and amazing bliss as a large brown or rainbow sucks your fly off the surface, even better when it is a pattern you just tied and had a challenge making as quality as you can. loving it very good topic. tight line's to all.
It doesn't get any better than that, lake or river.