The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Stillwater vs. the Rivers

I am a shameless river water fisher. It’s not that I have anything against Stillwater fishing. Or is it?
Last week I had an opportunity to fish a lake that boasts some large trout. I’m talking LARGE TROUT.
So I got to the lake and looked around at the guys fishing. These are guys wading the shore, not the tooners, belly boaters or boaters. They’re standing there up to their chests casting and watching their indicators. It reminded me of fishing lakes as a kid, only without the $800 worth of gear. I thought to myself, “Ya know what? That looks like it just sucks.” I didn’t even rig up. I just drove to a nearby tailwater and fished there.
When I’m fishing a river, creek or small stream, I enjoy the hunt. Stalking the fish I see and casting to them. Watching for the slightest shift in position or a tell tale “ping pong ball” white mouth opening indicating a possible take.
Reading the water, when I can't see them. Thinking like a trout. “Now were would I sit and wait for a meal if I were a trout. The tailout of that eddy behind that big rock looks like a good spot.” Walking the shore reading and stalking, reading and stalking. Hunting.
Lake fishing? Hmmm. OK, ya got some big fish. But where’s the hunt? A fish finder? I don’t think so. Not me.
Stillwater fishermen, remind me why it's fun to fish that way.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 PM

james is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stillwater vs. the Rivers

i fished a small lake the other day (first time for bluegill but caught mostly small bass). i fished from shore because there were alot nest and beds. i liked it. but then me and my mom found this place called the rocky mountian public fishing area.
i looked great for bass fishing but i was from shore and only did a couple cast.
i plan on going back as soon as i get a canoe. (by x-mas)
i personall liked lake fishing but the river will always be my home spot.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree completely. For some background...I grew up on a lake (pushing 200 feet deep) and as a child/ teen I spin fished for largemought bass, trout, etc. As I matured I got away from fishing...and frankly - when it comes to spin fishing..I really only enjoyed it if I was catching fish (no hits for one hour...I'm done). My opinion on that remains the same today - though I don't even spin fish anyway. Almost 10 years ago I got an renewed interest in flyfishing (I once bought a cheapo shakespeare rod/line when I was a kid in Kmart..but I couldn't cast the line - knew noone that flyfished - there was no internet...so I only used it once or twice). Since re-discovering this great sport... All my flyfishing has been on rivers for trout. There is something meditative and mysterious about moving/running water vs. stillwater....and it just seems like an "action" type of environment. We don't use "fish finedrs"...we try to think like a fish. After a cast..you have to focus on your drift. That being said...I just started flyfishing my old lake...and while stillwater will always be a distant second to me...I will say this...With a flyrod in my hand...I just never get bored...anywhere...regardless of how "hot" the action is. Its because of the "FLY CAST"....there is something awesome about the feeling of loading and unloading your flyline that keeps my attention ....regardless of whether I'm catching fish. Heck...I even find it hard to leave the grass when I'm just practicing.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: I prefer to fish rivers given the option, but now that we are in run off the only real options are stillwater or tailwater. I work M-F so that leaves me with Sat and Sun for fishing and as you know that is the worst time to try hitting the tailwaters. I envy you that you can fish most any day of the week so that opens a lot more options for fishing. The Grey Reef can get really crowded on the weekends just like all the other tailwaters, so as a way to get away from the crowds I like to fish stillwaters and like you said it offers the possibility of some really HUGE trout. I don't use a fish finder but you still have to figure out where the fish might be and adjust accordingly and correctly fishing chronomids is another whole learning experience.

Larry
Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Around here, we are blessed with hundreds of lakes of all sizes with trout, bass, pike, etc. They do get crowded around season openers and weekends, but the medium and smaller streams and rivers are virtually deserted all season long. So that's where I head everytime I think trout.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm the same way man, I just can't get all that excited about fishing lakes. Moving water just fascinates me, and has long before I even got into fly fishing. I also think its better for those of us who have limited attention spans (yep, i'm guilty) and like covering lots of water: even on new waters, you know what spots look fishy, hit those, and keep moving along.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:47 PM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road

i must say though. on a very calm night as the sun is setting at a lake ,the water looks like glass and you can see your dry fly floating in the glare. when that big one hits, and the calm water instantly starts churning, its a rush you cannot duplicate.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Stillwater vs. the Rivers

I love fishing fast rivers,streams and creeks,like you I enjoy hunting fish,I only fish on dry or nymph on sight but sometimes in winter I go to a reservoir...here in europe it's a lake stocked with big rainbows...for sure the pleasure is different but you can fish the trout you see like in a river,and it's a challenge because,the fish having been caught and released several times become very careful and suspicious so they're very difficult to catch.
it's a pity I don't live in the usa,for when I read what you write I think we could be a rather good fishing team together!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I prefer fishing streams and rivers, however once or twice a year it is fun to spend a day in the boat, drinking beer, and troll for walleye. I dont drink when i fish rivers or streams, so it is a change of pace for me.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
i must say though. on a very calm night as the sun is setting at a lake ,the water looks like glass and you can see your dry fly floating in the glare. when that big one hits, and the calm water instantly starts churning, its a rush you cannot duplicate.
Well put. You painted that picture well and its an appealing one.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.