The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 10:40 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What flyrod/reel combo would you choose ?

Curtis,

How long have you had your Sage Launch ?

What made you choose an 8'-6" rather than a 9'-0" ?

I am planning on squirrling away some $$ to save up for one, plus I hoping my loving wife will :-) when I come home with the rod. She has mentioned more than once that I have enough equipment.

Not to be nosy, but what did you pay for yours ? The 9'-0" 4wt I looked at was right around $200.

Thanks,

Tie One On
Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Not sure what Curtis paid for his rod, but for a Sage Launch the going rate is $200 or more in some places. And that may depend if you purchasing a 2 piece or 4 piece.

You never know you might get lucky and find a real deal.

Good Luck,
Terry
Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on
Curtis,How long have you had your Sage Launch ?What made you choose an 8'-6" rather than a 9'-0" ?I am planning on squirrling away some $$ to save up for one, plus I hoping my loving wife will :-) when I come home with the rod. She has mentioned more than once that I have enough equipment.Not to be nosy, but what did you pay for yours ? The 9'-0" 4wt I looked at was right around $200.Thanks,Tie One On
I have been fishing that setup for a while now. I like the 8.5 foot as it gives plenty of reach for mending drifts when nymphing but also is more accurate then a nine foot rod. From what I have seen the shorter a fly rod, the more accurate with less tip bounce but then you give up the reach. Kind of a balancing game. Plus, I really did not like the way the nine foot cast in the five weight at all but the 8.5 was like butter.I paid $170.I have a nine foot six weight Launch that I have never even used that I am going to be putting on Ebay unless I find someone to buy it direct. I just like this one so much that I never get anything else out of it's case.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with snuffy here,the winston vapor is a fantastic rod my fav right now I have it set with a older bauer large arbor i over shoot the 5 wt rod with a 6 wt orvis wonder line,for some reason winston has got the cork grip down pat i have several rods with identical cigar shaped cork but for some reason the winston just feels much nicer,it balences nicely with the bauer reel,but when it comes to balence i think the casters preference is the only judge,every time i instinctivly grab it on my way out the door I feel a little guilty about the rest of the herd,but not guilty enough to take any other.

tight lines
Aaron