The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 PM

crday is on a distinguished road
Default Casting question

I have cast for many years, although certainly not expertly, but this new rod is driving me nuts. Rod is an 8 weight Loomis GL3. I'm using an 8 weight WF line to throw bass bugs.

Will do the best I can to describe the problem. It feels as if the rod is never loading. The crisp lift-off that I get with other rods is sorely lacking. The leader/line connection does not roll, it's almost as if it 'pivots' and plops the bug down.

Changing to a light lure changes nothing.

Is there any chance that the rod is mislabeled and is actually a 9 or 10?

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

crday
Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Casting question

Hello crday:

Help is on the way. Sounds like you've got a real casting issue there. I've asked Doug to reposnd to your problem ASAP. He's the moderator of "The Fly Cast" and would be what I would consider our casting expert on the forum.

Thanks for joining the forum. Hang in there... help is on the way!!!

Old 03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

Hi CR,

Since we are not together, I’m going to approach the problem by guess and by golly. First, I seriously doubt your rod is mislabeled; it’s possible but not probable. More probable is the rod’s construction.

For years, guys like us have hammered the rod and line manufacturers for greater distance. Seems there is always a river or creek that’s a tad to wide … The result is faster rods and specialty lines, all designed to satisfy our demands. Faster rods do yield greater distance in the hands of a skilled caster; but, in the hands of a traditional caster they are apt to be a disaster. The reason is simple: a fast rod’s performance curve reflects flex closer to the tip than, say, the full flex of Orvis’ great old line of Superfine rods. Since the GL3 doesn’t flex in the butt, most fly casters cannot feel the rod load.

What to do? First, change your stance. Most of us folks who have been around too long typically face the target line face-on. No way in hell can you facing the target line at a 90-degree angle and watch your backcast. Watching your backcast is an imperative with fast rods. I assure you, the rod is loading but you cannot see it.

I teach my students to take a stance about 45-degrees to the target line and use a ¾ lift into the backcast … by turning their head; they are able to observe everything the rod and line are doing. I call it going first class!

As for the problem with the bug turnover, my guess is the wrong mix of fly, leader and tippet. When casting heavy or bulky flies on heavier weight rods, I typically recommend a leader butt size of .023 to .025 inches; a leader of 6-feet, and a tippet of 0 to 1X.

Why not try these suggestions on the grass?

You might also want to read this article, part of a series that speaks in more detail on leaders and tippets.
http://www.activeangler.com/articles/flyfishing/articles/doug_macnair/tippets2.asp

To help you further visualize the stance, visit my site and download without charge the basic casting manual I issue to my student.

http://www.douglasmacnair.com

Hope this helps ... the GL3 is a very good rod.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 PM

crday is on a distinguished road

Wow. I halfway expected some tidbits of advice, and got a real coach. Cool.

I will visit the sites and download your instructions, and post results in a couple days.

You're likely right about the stance. My maiden voyage with the Loomis rod was from the stern seat of a canoe, so there wasn't an opportunity for much consistency as far as casting position. Still, I was casting a 6 wgt. Sage Launch in the same circumstances and it worked beautifully. (emphasis on IT working beautifully,...not me...)

Again, Wow. And thanks.

CRday
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Wow. I halfway expected some tidbits of advice, and got a real coach. Cool.
One of the many reasons why I am proud to be a part of this group. I'm sure Doug's advice will help alot, and will likely help you improve your casting in ways you never even expected.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:55 PM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough

Thanks Doug. We are fortunate to have you.

I am learning too.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

This thread has gotten a lot of viewing in just a few short days. It makes me feel like there may be others who need the same or similar help with their fly cast.

I realize that it may be difficult for someone to troubleshoot your cast without actually seeing you do it. However, Doug Macnair is as good as anyone when comes to troubleshooting and he does a magnificent job of doing it online.

After responding to crday's post, Doug received an email from Dave. They have both agreed to allow me to share that message with the rest of the forum. It goes like this...

Date: March 7, 2006 2:06:35 PM MST
To: Doug Macnair <info@fly-fishing-books.com>
Subject: RE: Thank you for purchasing your new 'Cast Like A Pro' Ebook
Mr. Macnair,
You are a genius.
I got the casting book online yesterday and read the first part and practiced this morning with my Sage 8 wt. Xi2 and threw 75' no leader just fly line (measured with a tape) with tight loops and no tailing loops at all, with way less effort.
I'm ecstatic! This is what I needed.
Thanks
Dave

Doug, thanks for helping Dave out. Thanks for helping us all out. If more people would commit to your recommendations and practice, we would see a whole bunch of them become better casters