The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Northern pike (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/9404-northern-pike.html)

lifesaflyin 05-12-2009 05:29 PM

Northern pike

what would you guys use for northern pike on a fly?

i have 5 and 8 weight rods. i hear these guys give one hell of a fight over trout. what would you carry to catch them? i have a 20 lb wire leader already. but lost on everything else.

peregrines 05-12-2009 07:01 PM

Re: Northern pike

Hopefully some pike experts like Esox will chime in here.

I haven’t fished for them much, but have caught a few accidentally fisjhing for other stuff. But I think some basic pike flies would be large streamer patterns that cover different layers of the water column. Typical pike colors tend to be black, chartreuse, and white, and patterns based around predominate baitfish—perch looking patterns for example.

Examples would be Dahlberg Divers, cone head rabbit strip flies, mega divers, and large salt water type lefty deceivers. A frog looking surface thing would be fun to throw too around weeds in summer I would think. I’d try keeping most of the flies around 2/0 or so to be able to throw them with your 8 weight.

A big part of the game is finding them based on tehir seasonal movements. This book, “Mastering Pike on the Fly” by Barry Reynolds might be a good resource for you (although new ones are out of stock it looks like you could pick up one from another vendor for about 13 bucks.) It goes into some detail on patterning pike by season, how to fish different types of lakes etc as well as gear, flies, and different presentations
Amazon.com: Mastering Pike on the Fly: STRATEGIES AND TECHNIQUES: Barry Reynolds, Lefty Kreh: Books

Hopefully some of our pike experts will weigh in too--- if they're not out chasing them.

mark

Rip Tide 05-12-2009 07:53 PM

I target pike for a short spring season here in CT
But once the water warms, they hold in depths that makes fly fishing for other species look a lot more attractive. :redface:

Pike like flies..big wiggly ones.
I like both chartreuse and black, but you can't beat the combination of red and yellow.
You can fish with an 8wt rod.... I do,.. but you might want to use a heavier line. A WF9F or even a 10, depending on your rod. This will help you to throw the bigger flies pike like.

glassroddr 05-12-2009 08:08 PM

If the water you fish is more tanin coloured like some of the lakes in my area, you might try purple. I'm not sure why, but it works for me. I use rabbit strips. They last longer than other material I have tried. Also I use Mustad saltwater hooks (I don't remember exactly but I think 34007). I started using a 8-10 inch lenght of 20 pound Spiderwire as bite tippet. Hope this helps.

Marc.