The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road
Default Northern pike

what would you guys use for northern pike on a fly?

i have 5 and 8 weight rods. i hear these guys give one hell of a fight over trout. what would you carry to catch them? i have a 20 lb wire leader already. but lost on everything else.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern pike

Hopefully some pike experts like Esox will chime in here.

I haven’t fished for them much, but have caught a few accidentally fisjhing for other stuff. But I think some basic pike flies would be large streamer patterns that cover different layers of the water column. Typical pike colors tend to be black, chartreuse, and white, and patterns based around predominate baitfish—perch looking patterns for example.

Examples would be Dahlberg Divers, cone head rabbit strip flies, mega divers, and large salt water type lefty deceivers. A frog looking surface thing would be fun to throw too around weeds in summer I would think. I’d try keeping most of the flies around 2/0 or so to be able to throw them with your 8 weight.

A big part of the game is finding them based on tehir seasonal movements. This book, “Mastering Pike on the Fly” by Barry Reynolds might be a good resource for you (although new ones are out of stock it looks like you could pick up one from another vendor for about 13 bucks.) It goes into some detail on patterning pike by season, how to fish different types of lakes etc as well as gear, flies, and different presentations
Amazon.com: Mastering Pike on the Fly: STRATEGIES AND TECHNIQUES: Barry Reynolds, Lefty Kreh: Books

Hopefully some of our pike experts will weigh in too--- if they're not out chasing them.

mark
Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I target pike for a short spring season here in CT
But once the water warms, they hold in depths that makes fly fishing for other species look a lot more attractive.

Pike like flies..big wiggly ones.
I like both chartreuse and black, but you can't beat the combination of red and yellow.
You can fish with an 8wt rod.... I do,.. but you might want to use a heavier line. A WF9F or even a 10, depending on your rod. This will help you to throw the bigger flies pike like.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

If the water you fish is more tanin coloured like some of the lakes in my area, you might try purple. I'm not sure why, but it works for me. I use rabbit strips. They last longer than other material I have tried. Also I use Mustad saltwater hooks (I don't remember exactly but I think 34007). I started using a 8-10 inch lenght of 20 pound Spiderwire as bite tippet. Hope this helps.

Marc.