The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default what fly for shad????

Stopped by the warm water discharge creek at a nearby powerplant today to have a look at fishing possibilities. Where the creek empties into the (Ohio) river there was a lot of surface activity. The surface temp was 57F at that point so I hiked back to the truck and grabbed my 3wt rod (always in the truck ).

Tied a foam ant - nothing.
Tried an orange nymph - snagged one. (yes, actually snagged in the back)
Tried several pattens I had in my fly box and could not get a hit at all.

The shad were coming to the surface, but didn't seem interested in taking a fly?

Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: what fly for shad????

I've found b!tch creek nymphs work well for them, both weighted and unweighted. An unweighted example short-stripped right through the middle of them should produce some hits. I weave the bellies in orange, yellow, or chartreuse. Where on the Ohio are you fishing?

the764
Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
I've found b!tch creek nymphs work well for them, both weighted and unweighted. An unweighted example short-stripped right through the middle of them should produce some hits. I weave the bellies in orange, yellow, or chartreuse. Where on the Ohio are you fishing?
I was at the powerplant (JM Stewart plant) just upriver from Aberdeen Ohio. At the mouth of Three Mile Creek.
Have to work in that area again tomorrow, looks like I need to do some tying tonight! Just hope the predicted rain isn't too bad.

I may throw the 6wt rod in the truck and see if I can tempt a white bass while I'm there.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM

You're not all that far from Louisville, so what works here should be a fairly reasonable option for you. Where you find shad, stripers and wipers are likely to be nearby. I like intruders and clousers in baitfish colors for them.

the764
Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

small gold hook sz. 6 with either silver or gold mylar body. wing of matched duck quills, bright colors works for them.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I put a fly in the Fly Patterns section called Bernie's Bleeder.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I put a fly in the Fly Patterns section called Bernie's Bleeder.
Now that's a traditional shad fly, MP! I suppose you could tie that pattern in about any bright color and do well. Aren't there big runs of shad that folks actually target? I seem to recall the Sacramento River has a big run every year. Never tried eating one, but have been told they smoke pretty well.

the764
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Now that's a traditional shad fly, MP! I suppose you could tie that pattern in about any bright color and do well. Aren't there big runs of shad that folks actually target? I seem to recall the Sacramento River has a big run every year. Never tried eating one, but have been told they smoke pretty well.
The Sacramento River and its tributaries have huge runs of American Shad. I usually fish the Sacramento River just upstream of Sacramento in late April. I will fish the lower stretches of the American River through Sacramento County in May. Late May into June, I fish the Lower Yuba east of Marysville.

MP
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

EP minnows are good. get some congo hair from Fly tyers dungeon or just the regular EP material and you can tie up a bunch of color combos in all sizes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I can vouch or the Bernie Bleeder. MP hooked me up last year and it was hot on the Potomac for both Hickories and Americans. I have to think those are gizzard shad you are seeing this time of year.