The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough
Default Indicator--Whad'u'think?

I've being trying an indicator this Spring and thought I'd post it to see what any trout bums, that occasionally use light indicators, think. (No lectures from non-indicator users, please.) It's simple to make, floats without dressing, retrieves through guides, casts and retrieves with streamlined efficiency, and is sensitive. I think it has a real edge over yarn.

It's made with a 2-3 mm. strip of foam (I use Hi-vis yellow). One end is folded over and the tag is wrapped and whip finished. (I just clamp it in my vise and wrap, though wrap gently at first, so you don't cut the foam.)

In use, I just insert my hemostat and pull a loop of leader or tippet through. Then I drop the loop over the longer end of the foam and tighten. If you tighten so that the leader ends up above the thread wrap but in between the tag and the standing legs of foam, it is easy to retrieve the leader when adjusting depth and doesn't kink much at all.

In the 1 1/2 to 2 inch length I use it won't hold up more than a weighted nymph or a BB shot, but that's all I need for slower water.

Anyhow, if any of you guys or gals tries it in some softer water, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (12.8 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Indicator--Whad'u'think?

Looks interesting....May have to give them a try...

Dan
Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

A friend of mine said that a guide had them using a Chernobyl Ant as an indicator. He said every once in awhile a fish would hit the CAnt. Just another spin on using a foam indicator.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie: I think we all have had a fish hit our indicator at one time or another, that is why in soft water I like to use a large dry with an emerger or nymph as a dropper.

Larry
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM

Thanks for taking a look. Yes, I have had hits on this indicator too, but unlike a dry/dropper set up, this is adjustable for depth, can go thru guides, and doesn't affect the cast as much. I've used hopper/droppers for summer searching, but this indicator is really for times when you know only a nymph will work, like winter and early Spring. Unlike a dry, you can add or remove an indicator in seconds.

It sure is easy to make. When I first started playing with them I'd make half a dozen of different sizes and shapes and since I was at my vice I would just slide them on a toothpick (I use toothpicks for head glue). The toothpicks make a nice way of storing/organizing the indicators in you vest or pack. A row of these indicators take no room at all and I have even put them inside a fly box when I'm packing ultra light.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Softouch,

I think you get an "A" for ingenuity. We all have our favorite type of indicator. If you like it, use it. It is hard to judge your indicator with out trying it.

My favorite has always been yarn but now I am leaning to the Thingamabobber.

Frank

Thingamabobber
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I haven't used many different indicators, but I will second Frank on the Thingamabobber. They work well, easy to adjust and no problems casting them. They are the only indicators in my arsenal now.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:55 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Had a guide rig me a 3 nymph rig with a thingabob in colorado.. It cast easy and had great visibility.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

My favorites have always been the ones by Scientific Anglers that look like little pieces of hollow fly line. They just slide on your leader and are held in place by a knot. Of course, if you don't have any knots in your leader they don't work too well. They don't float at all but can be seen for a fair distance under the water. I like to use one about 2 feet from the fly and another a foot or so above that one.

They cast well, go thru the guides and there is no need to adjust them because they don't float.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM

Yep, the Thing-ma-Bobber is in my arsenal for heavy water. It kinks my line a little and of course is not streamlined or guide friendly, but I like it because I can load on the weight. I have a trip into the Wind River Mountains in July, so I'm interested to see what happens above 8000 feet. I've heard the Thing-ma-Bobber collapses.

There is something about the way the foam strip indicator casts that is pretty smooth. First versions used an o-ring, then I tried orthodontic bands, but they were unnecessary. I'm tweaking a larger floater with a dark base right now.