The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default The end of an era

Yesterday, I went to Cabela's in Wheeling WV. I see a poster...Maryland has passed a law on felt soles. The year of 2011 is a "grace period". After that....no more felt soles. I was also told that Pa. will be following suite on this.
Apparently, we are carriers. Personally, rubber soled boots w/ studs kinda make me nervous with some waters I wade
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The end of an era

2012 for all of Alaska too. A small part of the state was 1-1-11.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I saw the trend coming, so I wore vibram and studs all this past season. I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought, but rubber is definitely NOT felt. I hope the companies can devise some new material that can satisfy the new market. Whether they do or not I will stay with the rubber. The ecology has to come first.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Vermont went "no felt" as of this season. Not too happy about it

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Everyone fished with Hodgen rubber bottom boots for many years with no studs or no felt. I think most of us will get along fine with out felt.

I recall one year at the San Juan that the water was about 500cfs and one area of rock that you couldn't normally wade was available. The rock was covered with a tough, slick moss and I started with my felts. One or two steps and the bottom of the boots was caked with this moss and the felt didn't work at all. I went back to the car and put my slip on overshoes with aluminum cleats on the bottom. Between the cleats and my wadding staff I managed to get into position and hook up with a big trout.

Frank
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone have any definitive information about PA enforcing a ban on felt? And while I am asking, any word of MI following suit as well? It looks like I may need to get some new boots soon...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 PM

fisher2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Does anyone have any definitive information about PA enforcing a ban on felt? And while I am asking, any word of MI following suit as well? It looks like I may need to get some new boots soon...
only if u want just go ahead and grasp new boots.