The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM

leon o is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings - First Post

Greetings

I'm toying with the idea of fly fishing, so I'll be lurking for a bit.

A few years ago I got back into fishing, and I've been going after bass in the local quarry and ponds in Western MA. I'd like to expand my horizons, but getting into fly fishing might be a pretty big leap.

Unfortunately, there are not any tackle or fly shops convenient to my home. The big box stores have chased them away. However, there are LL Bean and Cabela's stores within 50 minutes and I just learned an Orvis is about an hour away. I can take the family with me because there are other things to entertain them

Thanks to everyone here who takes the time to share their knowledge here on the forum.

Leon
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Greetings - First Post

Hi Leon

Welcome! I do have one question-- why is getting into fly fishing a pretty big leap? Sure there is a learning curve, but like anything-- It will become second nature. Don't let the beauty of the cast scare you-- the rod is what does all of the work.

Anyhow, I wanted to tell you welcome, and let you know that the big box stores will usually have casting 'classes' on the weekends as the season gets closer. You might want to look into one/ some. They, from what I understand, are group classes and not the personal one-on-one class that a personal instructor can provide. But I also understand that they are free... Can't beat that price.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, and leap right in! Raindog is right, it is like anything else it will become second nature in couple of years if not less. It is well worth the investment of time and money. I was a little frustrated that first summer, but looking back now 7 years later, I would do it all over again 10X! Welcome to the forum, and ask any questions you have. Next to fly fishing the thing that fly-fisherman like to do most is talk about fly fishing. Check out the older posts and/or start a new one about getting the right first rod/reel rig. If you have a pricepoint in mind of what you want to spend the people on this forum are very knowledgeable about gear options.

Hope to see you on the stream someday!
Ausable Brown
Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Leon welcome to the forum- I'm sure you'll have a ton of questions as you get into it so feel free to ask when they come up for you.

In the meantime browse through the FAQ section and take a look at some of the past threads in this section of the forum-- lots of questions from newbies have come up in the past.

Where abouts are you in western MA? We have a lot of of folks on the forum from MA that might be able to give you some good advice on some local fly shops that are still around.

You should also look into any local fly fishing clubs in your area. Trout Unlimited chapters and clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers will give you a great opportunity to get up to speed with some hands on coaching from more experienced fly fisher-- most FFF clubs or TU chapters will have casting clinics, beginner tying classes, group trips to local waters and a whole bunch of other activities in addition to informative monthly meetings.

You can do a search here for TU:
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

and here for FFF affiliated clubs:
Locate a Club

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard Leon! Fly Fishing is a wonderful sport I hope you decide to make the leap! If you can find someone local who can show you the basics that will go a long ways in learning how to cast and fish with a fly rod and like Mark said, try to find a local club, you will be amazed at how much they can help.

Larry

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Leon. Since I'm newer than most I can tell you there is a lot of skill involved. IMO, that is what makes it a fun challenging sport. Best in your pursuit.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Another vote for getting a fishing mentor or casting lessons etc. I think it was the late Rusty Gates who said that "an hour with a mentor is worth 10 hours of figuring it out on your own". Absolutely true with fly fishing, casting, tying, etc.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:02 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Welcome leon O, You couldn't of run across a better site to lurk around in.

When you say "Unfortunately, there are not any tackle or fly shops convenient to my home" That is no problem. If there was a fly shop nearby I would suggest supporting them first but in your case since there is nothing nearby the next best thing is support the fly shops nearest to your town by the internet if they have an on-line catalog. I use the internet for about 75% of my tying materials and misc fly fishing items if my local fly shop doesn’t carry something I want. I kind of stay away from the big retailers and give my business to the smaller shops; they are more personal and have more knowledge about fly fishing then most of the big retailers. If there is anything you need to know about fly fishing you will find it here on TNA. There are many years of experience and most of all, a great wealth of information here on the forum.

Just a personal note, back several years ago I took up fly fishing and that was the best thing I did, I haven't used a spin casting rod in years, and all my fishing is done with a fly rod. For the last 7 years I have been tying all my own flies and I am really enjoying that part of fly fishing also. So on that note:

Pull up a chair,
The bathroom is down the hall, first door on the right.
Dinner will be ready shortly.
Until then, kick back and enjoy!!!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Leon....Larry is right ...for onceflyfishing is a wonderful sport
Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you're 50 minutes from Cabela's then I'm guessing that you live somewhere near Northampton.
You're very close to the Westfield River and not all that far from the Deerfield and the Farmington
It's better to have some great trout streams in the back yard then a fly shop any day

Orvis-Manchester is a great place to visit and worth the trip. Don't miss the discount fly shop. It's downtown in the old bamboo rod shop, not in the retail outlet.
Besides the shopping opportunities, Manchester is also the home of The American Museum of Fly Fishing