The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's your pocket knife? What ya suggest to go with?

A good quality Gerber is the way to go. IMO.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I have several Kershaw's; a couple Vapors II, and a Blackout Tactical. Of the kershaw's I like the Blackout best for the speed-assisted opening and the American steel blade (Vapors are chinese steel). However, in terms of overall utility my favorite go-to knife that is always in my pocket is a basic Swiss Army. It just does more than any other pocketknife I have, except maybe the leatherman, but it's more compact than my leatherman, I think the main blade is sharper in my Swiss Army, and my dad gave it to me on my 15th b-day, so it goes everywhere with me.

From your post, I'm not exactly sure what the main function of your new knife is going to be (opening envelopes and packages, or skinning game), and if this is the only knife you'll carry daily. If it's an only knife, I'd say go with a Swiss Army, or if you don't like them, a leatherman. If you want a speed assisted knife then just make sure the steel isn't chinese; you'll be happier with the knife.

I'm pretty sure the knife in your ad is american steel, but you can check that on kershaw's site to be sure.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Split my time between a very old Boy Scout knife (high carbon steel that will take a razor's edge) and an old Buck knife that I use 'at work.'

The Buck has one blade that I've never seen before (or since on another knife). One of the main blade is curved in like a carpet knife blade. Handy as heck for opening/cutting up boxes (or anything else for that matter).

fae
Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I have the Leatherman wave and the Swiss Army explorer.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Opinel #6 Walnut handle.
No 6 Opinel stainless steel walnut handle, Opinel Classic woods handle
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I go back and forth between my SOG flash I and my Kershaw Leek. I really like them both but I would like to add a Spyderco Delica 4.
Cabot
Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This thread has 50 replies and lots of pictures, you may find some ideas here....... Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Welcome to the forum

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

This is one of those questions with infinite answers. I was going to add my usual flag-waving for Gerber, but I posted all that in the thread Ard suggests above.

the764
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good old Swiss Army knife...

Kelly.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM

leterfly is on a distinguished road

Leatherman's always a solid choice imo, but man I've had my swiss army knife since I was a kid and I still use it. Maybe it's the fact that there's a picture of a fish on it, makes me think it's special, lol. Regardless, you want something that you'll barely notice on your person and a knife you'll hardly have to sharpen