The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM

MO Trout Hunter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nail Knot

Yeah, the surgeon's is definitely simple, and it has decent knot strength. I only have a couple of problems with it. First, the knot doesn't lay down completely straight -- there's just a bit of kink to it (not that that's a huge big deal, but it bugs me). Second, if I end up with a notch or tangle in my line and want to take the lazy way out (clip out the notch & reattach), I can't easily do it with the fly attached to the tippet -- not that I EVER get a tangle in my line! Those first two reasons are a bit lame, I know. Little things annoy me sometimes. The 3rd reason, though, is that I've fished with a bunch of clients and taught many students who are kinda ham-handed and can't make their fingers tie new knots, but anyone who learned to bobber fish as a kid already knows the clinch knot.

Bottom line as previously mentioned, there are several options. You can even tie a loop in each and nest them together (my least favorite option, but it works). Try a few different knots and see what is easiest for you to do while standing waist deep in a river with poor light and a breeze. Whichever knot that is is the knot for you.

Come Learn How to Fly Fish With Us
TROUT HUNTER FLY FISHING SCHOOL