The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Nail Knot

Could I use a nail knot to tie the leader to the tippet? I am very bad at knots but I have a tie-knot fast tool (can only be used to tie nail knots, I think) so I was wondering how often and in different situations I could use it.
Thanks, Cabot
Old 05-16-2009, 09:27 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nail Knot

Hey Cabot,
If I am correct, I have the same knot tying tool as you have got. I usually just tie two nail knots and slide them together... I know it isn't really the right thing to do, but it's pretty close really. lol
I haven't had any problems with that connection, but I don't know what kind of fishing you will be doing. I use this setup because with leaders and tippet, if you don't use two of these knots, then one of them will slide off the leader and it will really be useless as you can probably see.
I don't know if anyone else has any better ideas (and I'm sure there are a lot better ones out there) But that is what works for me.
Hopefully this helps some!
HookEmHorns
Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Cabot: I don't see why the nail knot would not work. However, have you ever tried tying the Surgeons knot, it is a pretty easy knot, even for someone like me that doesn't have very good eyesight. All that is involved is taking about 6-8 inches of both ends and laying then together and then all you do is tie an overhand knot and then do it again.
Check this out: Surgeon's Knot

Or check out this site, it has animated knots where you can see the tying multiple times: Grog's Fishing Knots Index

Larry
Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto Larry's comments about the Surgeon's Knot. It's pretty much standard
for attaching tippet, and almost impossible to get wrong . In fact, tying
shoe laces is more complicated than a surgeon's knot !
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

give this site a shot very good for learning knots

Grog's Fishing Knots Index
Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, double surgeons for tippet to leader.

While you're at the grog animated knots site, it would be good to learn the perfection loop too (for making in-line loops for loop to loop connections)- it will come in handy.

mark
Old 05-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bekiu002,

Yes, absolutely you can tie your tippet on with two nail knots. It is the same as using two Uni knots. Two Uni Knots can be used when larger diameter mono is tied together. It does use up you leader as you change tippets.

The Surgeon's Knot is very simple and quick to tie. I don't like it because the knot does not lie straight and is bulky with heavier mono.

Like Peregrines suggested, I use a loop to loop connection to fasten the tippet on. It is the quickest way for me and very easy to change tippets. It also keeps you from cutting off any of the leader every time you tie on a tippet.

Frank
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Nail Knot/Other knots.

Hi Cabot.
Even there are several knots that you can use, simple solution just try tying a few & use the one which is the easiest for you & doesn't pull apart, if you are going to keep fishing,you have to rely on your knots,& if not tied correctly,you will loose lots of fish,remember Murphy's Law.
Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 PM

MO Trout Hunter is on a distinguished road

IMHO, the easiest good-quality leader-to-tippet connection is nesting clinch knots (aka, the basic bluegill bait hook fishing knot). Bend the leader over to form a "U" and tie an improved clinch knot on that U using the tippet. Then turn it over in your hand and repeat by tying an improved clinch in the leader onto the tippet, moisten, and snug the two knots together. It's quick, it lays down completely flat, and everyone should be able to tie the knot in their sleep. Pretty decent knot strength too.

Come Learn How to Fly Fish With Us
TROUT HUNTER FLY FISHING SCHOOL
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

leader to tippet = double surgeon's knot. Simple and strong.