The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough
Default Is anyone else this unreasonable?

I was fishing with the Bloodknot guys and we were discussing upcoming saltwater trips. I was rattling off the thousands of dollars of saltwater gear that I want for this summer. They mentioned that maybe I should upgrade the fly line I was using. That thought had never crossed my mind. I use the line on my trout rod twice a week and never seem to change it. But I am ready to buy all new stuff that I will use 5 times a year!

Does anyone else think about things as irrationally as I do?

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 01-19-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is anyone else this unreasonable?

Yes.
Regards,
Gary
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Absolutely...but not me really never! O

f course I suspect most of us, my self included that is what addiction does to people!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Nope. Never made an irrational, unnecessary, gluttonous, or otherwise poor purchase....
Old 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Absolutely, I am probably the worst one that I know of. Irrational and compulsive (this one is very dangerous) when it comes to hobbies and interests that are in "season" for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

What time is it?

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

With a little luck you out grow this by the time you have been buying stuff for a few decades. I went from a 3 rod guy to someone who thought he needed a different rod and reel for every stream. Then I went the other way and finally found the center. I use the same rod 80% or more of the time and have 13 sitting and waiting for that other 20% to pop up every year. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. Last year I used the same 8 weight rig for rivers and surf fishing and only took trout rods out about 5 or 6 times.

I now tend to focus my resources on travel expenses so I can reach farther into the Interior than on a new rod to take with me. If I bought the new rod I would have to use it along the road system because the Bush trip would be too expensive on top of the tackle purchase. You'll get over it, sometimes the urge to buy new stuff happens because someone else has it and you'll feel like odd man out if you don't have it too. Trust me it's all about catching the fish not your rod.

This link will take you to a short story about having the right gear; Sometimes You Have to Work With What You've Got;

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I would never buy something on a whim...

Great story Ard, don't know how I missed it before...

Dan
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
What time is it?
20:46 here Yat
Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I follow the old rule.......if it's not broke then don't replace it!!!.....if it can be fixed then fix it!!!

But there are days when that rule doesn't apply and I buy new toys fly fishing

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !