The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, what is the usual tip rate for a guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
In re-reading Chris and Larry's posting, I notice they are referring tipping when there are two anglers. Paying a larger tip (I assume their $100 tip is for both of them) makes sense when there are two anglers rather than just one, because obviously there is more work for the guide with two anglers. So I guess I really don't disagree with their guidelines for a two-angler situation.
Your correct, I was referring to two anglers!

Larry

Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Banned

usus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Your correct, I was referring to two anglers!

Larry
two anglers??
Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

The AK lodge I guide for usually tells clients 30-40 a day per rod.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by usus View Post
two anglers??
Yes. Chris and Larry were talking about two persons fishing with one guide. My difference with their (higher) tip rate was because I was thinking one angler per guide trip. But it only makes sense to tip more when the guide has to take care of two anglers rather than just one.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

I would say I must be old, because 50-80 dollars is a lot to me, and to tip that much in addition to paying for a guide........it must just be that I'm poor because I know I'm not the oldest.

I guess it would also depend on what he or she has to do. With a beginner, may have to rig gear, give lessons, untangle lines, net fish, remove hooks, but what if you have the guide simply to enable you to access a private section of the river and all he has to do is be present.

I'll just give Larry a couple hundred to take me fishing, bet I catch fish........and save money.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:20 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Over my 15yrs of guiding here in Jackson Hole the usual tip is from $40.00 to $60.00. With the extremes being $0.00 to $200.00.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures