a few questions

lifesaflyin

Reaction score
how can you tell the differnce when it comes to wet vs dry? i have about 300 flies from way back all mixed together that i need to sort out.

also i have brand new flyline from 60s? 70s? 80s? do you think its any good?

they are golden zephyer, angler onmi sports and rainy river brands. are these brands even any good?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
lifesaflyin-

Well the easiest way is to dump them in a pan of water-- but you can probably tell by the way they're constructed. Dry flies will typically have a wound hackle feather collar with stiff barbs that stick out straight. Wet flies will usually have a soft hackle feather collar that is swept back a bit.

If you want to post some pics, I bet folks on the board could identify a bunch of them for you, or you could go to a site like www.orvis.com and browse the pics of flies they have for sale just to see if you can identify some of them.

As far as those fly lines- it's hard to tell, they may still be good. I'm not familiar with any of those names- maybe they're house brands made by a fly line manufacturer under a store label? Look for cracks in the coating of the lines, and/or missing sections of coating. Modern fly lines by major players like Scientific Anglers, Rio, AirFlo, and Cortland etc, have advanced coatings (more distance, better flotation) sophisticated tapers, and it would probably be a good investment if the lines are really old. Still, they're worth trying, so you could rig up a rod and try them out. Just make sure that the weight rating of the fly line matches the weight rating of the fly rod (a 5 weight line on a 5 weight rod).

mark

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Last year, someone gave me a older line, still new in the package. It was probably 25-30 years old, at least.
The plasticizers had leached out and after 15 minutes or so it was uncastable.
The line fresh out of the package was 'greasy' to the touch.
I think the only way to tell if your lines are any good is to try them.
I remember the Omni and the Rainy River brands. Can't say I ever used them though

Dry flies, for the most part, have stiff hackles. Wet flies have soft hackles.
Touch them to your lips. You'll be able to tell the difference

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi lifesaflyin,

I suggest you order a catalog from Feather-Craft. They will send you one free. They have their flies separated into the different types of flies. If you study dry flies and compare them to wet flies or nymphs you will see the difference right away.

Every night I study fly fishing catalogs looking at various things while watching TV. If I miss something my wife brings me up to date or I go back with the DVR. It is also a good way to practice knots. Get some cheap 10lb mono and tie away.

If you want to study the different style of flies you can also do it on the Internet. Kaufmann's has a very good fly selection and they are set up by type of fly. Study dry flies, nymphs, streamers and you will know one from the other in a short time. Then you will have a better handle on what flies you have.

Frank

Frank

swampsavage

Reaction score
a partial answer...

...I picked up several flylines on eBay last year...must be at least 30-40 years old...tried one out last week, a Gladding Super Aerofloat HDG (WF-6-F) and it cast well and floated...gonna' use it 'till it quits doin' that...also got an Ashaway Golden HCF and Mahogany GAF I plan to try out once the Medalists I ordered get here

John