The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default fly and leader

is it common to have your days worth of flys set up with leader befor hand, or do you just tye em as you need em?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly and leader

I don’t know about others but I have a lot of different leaders with me when I fish. Usually I already have the leader I want on my reel prior to even leaving. Then when I get to the water I just tie on the tippet I want and the fly to the tippet. Personally I never just tie the flies directly to the leader. And I do not pre rig flies to the tippet. Sometimes I change flies quite a bit in one day or switch between dries, nymphs and streamers. I would think if I were to pre-rig all of them up, they would end up in a tangled mess.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

That was the thought that came to my mind as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Because most of my fly-fishing is tailwaters and thus quite technical with very small flies - mainly nymphs - being used, I tend to use a lot of dropper rigs. I do rig up a number of 2-fly leaders ahead of time with different combinations so I don't have to go through that hassle on the water. Since I use Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect Leaders, it's a simple matter to just change out the leader if I want to use a different combination. The process of managing all these leaders is made easy by storing them in Orvis' Dropper Rig Fly Box, each of which will hold 10-15 pre-rigged leaders (2-3 on each of the five removable "sticks").

Because it's probably hard to visualize these two products, I've attached images of them below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scientific Anglers L2LReconnect 1.jpg (4.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Scientific Anglers L2LReconnect 2.jpg (5.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Orvis $24.50 Dropper Rig Fly Box (SI76KH).jpg (74.6 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Now thats a sweet set-up. Lately i spend more time tyin em on than castin em out. Bein laid off has some advantages i guess, with more time to fish.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've done that in the past with spinning outfits. I'd line the ultralight with 4lb mono then loop the end. I'd take a couple of hours making 2ft. flouro leaders in 6lb and tie loops on one end and tie the spinner/lure on the other end. Worked great on the water.

Never thought about it for fly fishing, tho.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 PM

i have done that as well, and is the reason why I asked. but im concerned about tangle and mess. I think ill just tie em as i need em for now. im getting pretty fast at it..lol.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 AM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I do rig up a number of 2-fly leaders ahead of time with different combinations so I don't have to go through that hassle on the water. The process of managing all these leaders is made easy by storing them in Orvis' Dropper Rig Fly Box, each of which will hold 10-15 pre-rigged leaders (2-3 on each of the five removable "sticks").
Above, when you say leader, do you mean a whole leader and tippet and flies or do you mean a section of tippet/dropper rig that you later attach to your leader? I ask because I use a lot of dropper setups; but, I can't imagine swapping out my leader every time I want to swap out flies.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Above, when you say leader, do you mean a whole leader and tippet and flies or do you mean a section of tippet/dropper rig that you later attach to your leader? I ask because I use a lot of dropper setups; but, I can't imagine swapping out my leader every time I want to swap out flies.
No, I mean the whole leader with tippit & flies (look at the two images I included showing how the S.A. L2L Reconnect Leader System works), although I'd be lying if I said that I don't often just change out the end fly if that's all that needs changing. I guarantee that this entire leader can be changed out much quicker than you could manually tie on a new 1st fly and then a dropper to either its eye or the bend of the 1st fly's hook, let alone untangle the two-fly rig which seems to happen regularly with me. As I said, the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box helps a whole lot in keeping the various leaders manageable.

Having said all this, you could construct "loop-to-loop" tippit connectors at the end of your leader and change them out just about as quickly; however, I don't really like these because (1) they tend to "hinge" on me when casting and tangle more easily as well, and (2) that connection is large enough that it tends to snag on floating debris. I also find the floating L2L connector a good strike indicator.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, I mean the whole leader with tippit & flies . …..I guarantee that this entire leader can be changed out much quicker than you could manually tie on a new 1st fly and then a dropper to either its eye or the bend of the 1st fly's hook, let alone untangle the two-fly rig which seems to happen regularly with me.
Agreed. Absolutely no argument here.
Quote:
Having said all this, you could construct "loop-to-loop" tippit connectors at the end of your leader and change them out just about as quickly.
That’s how I do it. I do understand the “hinging” though.