The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM

fredthefishhead is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Here

This is my first trip to this site, but I want some expert opinions on a rod purchase. I'm going to Belize this summer and am looking to buy a good travel rod (4 piece) to fish for Bonefish and Permit. Anyone have suggestions for a moderately price sticK?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Time Here

Welcome, and you sure did come to the right place. I just wanted to say hi, unfortunately I don't have any of those "big sticks". All of mine are trout 6wt and less. You will get alot of input, try giving a pricepoint you are looking to get under and you'll get some expert advice before the day is even up.

Welcome, Jason
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM

I mostly fish trout in the Sierra, so everything I own is 4, 5 or 6 weight. I'm thinking I need a 9 or 10 wt rod and I would like to keep the price under $250 since I may not use it that often. I also like to look for the deal on ebay if I know what to look for. Any help would be great.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Now you're talkin. For $250 on e-bay you can really get a premium sage or something if you are patient. Most of my gear came from e-bay and I usually pay less the .50 on the dollar. Even new closeouts can be had for 50% off sometimes. In fact, I have seen some Winston 8wt BIIX's sell for right around $300 lately.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

a 9' 9wt 4-piece rod would be a great rod for your trip. I'd recommend looking for Orvis Trident TLS's on ebay in a tip flex, which will help you with the ever-present wind where you're going. Its a premium rod which can often be found for around the 250 mark...or less.

Whatever you buy, I'd steer clear of a slow action rod; go for mid-fast at the "slowest". You'll need the backbone to deal with the wind. And if you haven't cast to bones and permit before, the 9wt (versus 8 or 7) will help you get the fly where you want it. You would be over-gunned for the most part with the 10 wt.

If you are going to a fishing camp, they often list the kind of gear they'd recommend you bring on their website...if they have one.

Have fun and practice your casting before you go if you can!
Gary
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM

How does the Sage RPLXi or the Redington RS3 sound. Both on ebay for very little money.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I can't say from personal experience, but I bet you'll hear from others. Another avenue of info is to go to google and type in, for example, "Sage RPLXi review". There's a lot of that kind of info out there.

I have cast Sage RPL's (the precursor of the RPLXi) and it was sweet.

Don't forget, unless you have one, you'll need a reel with a GOOD drag and a warm weather fly line. I recommend Sage (made by Rio) Equator Taper fly lines. You'll want 200 yards of backing on whatever reel you get/have, and as I said, it needs a GOOD drag.

OH...and leaders, don't forget leaders. 10 and 12 footers, 10 and 12 pound should get you through the day.

I'm sure once all the bonefisherman get home from work, you'll get more information (probably than you'll ever want or need! LOL). Sift through it all, take what makes sense, and leave the rest. If you can beg, borrow, steal or buy it, Chico Fernandez's book, Fly-Fishing for Bonefish, is great. there's a few others, too.

Ain't it fun getting ready for something new?
Have fun with it,
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 01-20-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forget a few zillion things
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Fred, welcome to the forum and congrats on your up coming trip to Belize. We've had a few members go down to fish there so hopefully some of them will weigh in on tackle recommendations.

The Sage Rplx and Rplxi are great saltwater rods, and you can often find some great deals on them, but as far as I'm aware they're all 2 or 3 piece. Pre 9/11 you could carry them on, but these days you'd want a 4 piece. to fit in overhead luggage.

I think you'll really want to try out a few rods to see which ones fit your casting stroke. In addition to any others that catch your eye, look at some of the TFO rods-- the Axiom, TiCr, and TiCrx all have different actions and all are under or around $250 new.

Whatever stick you end up getting, you'll want to match it up with a decent tropical wf floater and get some practice in before you go, casting to targets with a minimum of false casts.

Keep us posted and let us know how your preparations are going. You're going to have a great trip.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 PM

How about reels?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Fred! While I know nothing about fishing in Belize, I'm already looking forward to your report.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog