The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 PM

alcorn is on a distinguished road
Default Wanna make sure I'm startin off on the right foot.

hello to all. My intro is in that section. Long story short. Grew up fishing. Had a fly rod and a couple of flies. I've fished a bit with a fly in wyoming and montana. I've caught a few both in the boundary waters and in Indiana with a fly. All I knew was to try to make this thing cast. Didn't know a darn thing about really fishing it. Met my current girl friend two years ago, not long after that met her dad, the avid fly fisherman. Seems like every time I fish with him I end up using a fly rod because its just so much more challenging and heck of alot more fun. Fished with this guy last week and I didn't realize what a 3lb bass on a 5 wgt. rod felt like. (as yall know, it felt great). So much for making a long story short.

So I've takin stock of all my fishing equipment and I had two flyrods that I took with me last year to guide a trip in the boundary waters. I'm not sure on the exact line but this will give ya an idea of what I have

-Orvis Liver Label HLS - 9' - 6wt
-Orvis Clearwater - 9' - 9wt
(both belong to my father who is also a big fly fisherman. he told me to go ahead and use them until I get a decent setup for myself because otherwise they would be sitting in the basement of his house)

So I went over to talk the head guide at a fly shop my girlfriends father told me to. He told me the 6wt will be my main rod for around here but the 9wt may come in handy if I'm going for largemouth or if I'm going north to fish for bigger species. He set me up with a tackle box, tippet material, leaders, a few poppers, floaters (spider type) and diver type flies. I'm going to get other clausers (not sure on the spelling sorry) and other types of flies from my girlfriends father. He also told me to go fish this stuff this weekend and to come back to the fly shop next tuesday for a free casting lesson and he's gonna map out some places to go.

Truth is I grew up fishing creeks all over the southeastern part of Indiana. Its my favorite way to fish. I'm really excited about learning to really fly fish. I just hope I'm getting off to a good start. If yall have any suggestions or can recommend any books or even places around indianapolis I should try let me know. Thanks
Alcorn

1 more thing: the main species that I'll be goin for are smallmouth, bluegill, largemouth, redear. Although they did recently stock a stream in the area with brown trout.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanna make sure I'm startin off on the right foot.

Yup. Sounds like you’re off to a great start and have gotten great advice Alcorn.

The 6 weight will be your go to rod for SMB, LMB, trout and panfish, but you might use the 9 weight for stripers in lakes in IN if you chase them, and for throwing large stuff for pike in the BWCA and fishing large wind resistant stuff like deer hair bass bugs for LMB in heavy cover. (It’s also a great weight for salt water if you take trips)

Flymasters in Indianapolis FlyMasters of Indianapolis is a decent shop and is pretty wired into the fishing opportunities and the where to go part. You could also download a copy of the IN DNR’s Fishing Guide here, it’s got a fish locator by lake/county towards the end of the pdf: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2009FG_lo.pdf

A really good way to learn is to join a fly fishing club, there’s a few in Indianapolis that the shop could steer you to, or you could track down a club affiliated with the Federation of fly Fishers—there’s a couple in Indiana.
Locate a Club
or a Trout Unlimited Chapter if there’s one near you:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

There’s a lot of stuff on this forum to browse through and the FAQ section here can probably can help a bit. You might also want to google “fly fishing 101” or pick up an intro to fly fishing book like the LL Bean Guide to Fly Fishing ( or anything similar from your local library. It’ll cover basic stuff to get you going. But since you’ve done a lot of fishing in the past, that will help a lot too in terms of finding fish, knowing where they hang out in streams etc.

BTW, I think you mean “Clouser Minnow” a great fly for most fish that swim, including smallmouth. It has barbell eyes on top of the shank that flip the fly so it rides hook point up, so you can fish it deep among rocks. It sounds like your GF’s father has you covered and is giving you great advice. You just might have to marry her….

Good luck!

mark