The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Redington CPX Waders Anyone? SIMMS Freestone?

My Orvis are leaking, and out of warranty so I'm looking for a deal. I have read the other threads on waders and usually I agree with the english saying that was recited in another thread "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap stuff". However, I'm just not rich enough "right now" to buy the SIMMS that I want. My orvis silver label have lasted 5 years with only one small repair and I would be happy with another pair that would last as long. I don't think I can fix this leak, it is on the seam and I have tried unsuccessfully already.

There are some Redington CPX on sale for under $150. They are 5 layer legs and sound like a good product all around. Anyone use these, wear them out etc? Also looking at the Simms freestone w/gravel guards for about $120. Or I might still be able to be convinced that I need the more expensive SIMMS. I don't mind spending on quality and prefer it, but $500 is out of the question. What is the "cheapest" I can go and still get a "BEST" quality wader? Were there any great waders discontinued lately?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Redington CPX Waders Anyone? SIMMS Freestone?

Simms in my opinion is really the way to go otherwise I buy some cheap ones that would get me through a season and keep saving to for the Simms. Also I personally love this tactic do you own any rods or reels that you are likely never to use.

A local shop near me has a trade in program and they have always given me as much or more for rods I've traded in then I expect I'd get selling the rods myself. I bought the Simms Headwater waders by trading in a 2 pc rod and very little cash out of pocket. Sometimes I take sell rods, reels, and other stuff I plan to replace on Ebay to afford to buy by the rods, reels I want to replace them with. So you might check if any fly shops near you have a trade in program.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I finally have all of the rods I "need", and have even fewer reels. I have a 3, two 4wts, and a 5wt with 2 reels to go between them all. So I plan on using all of them regularly. So trading in is not really an option; just looking for a decent pair that will last a few years. Thinking about it now; if I got 5 seasons out of a pair of $170 waders can I expect to get 15 years out of a pair of $500 simms??? Is that even realistic??? That sounds like quite a dreamy expectation. I think I might be careful enough to use cheaper waders on a regular basis and break even at least.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm not sure wear you are getting $500 for Simms, my Simms Headwaters were $300. I'd say if you got five seasons out of a pair of waders and if they weren't gortex you were lucky and don't fish very often or in very agressive terrain. However, I expect that you would get more out of the Simms all else being equal.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have the Reddingtons and really like them. Then again, these are my first waders since my old hip boots and my neoprene Hodgemans. I have had them on the water quite a few times and really like em so far.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM

I am just a little more than a weekend warrior, my best guess is I spent probably 250 days in those waders over the course of 5 years. I have since the beginning been fearful of and careful not to stress or snag them too much. I guess the G3 are the waders that I would like to have; based on the durability of the five layers that you get when you upgrade to the G3 and G4. They run $429 and $529 respectively. The headwaters are not 5 layers on the critical areas. Maybe I did get lucky, or maybe I successfully pampered my mid-priced Orvis along for 5 years. Even the "cheaper" Headwaters will be 2 1/2 times the cost of some of these cheaper closeouts Im looking at. CPX are five layered; not gore-tex, but red-whatever tex. I found them for $145 shipped, and the freestone for 125 shipped.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 PM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

I really like my Redingtons, especially the waterproof front zipper. I usually have a few coffees on the way to the lake or stream and I hate having to repeatedly take off my vest and jacket etc. They are very comfortable and the five layers in the lower part keeps me warm in cooler water.