The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM

yellowhammer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly fishing comfort food/drinks

favorite subject, besides fishing. A long time ago during a break in temp, i went up on the blue ridge, fishing was good the temp mid 40s not too bad, but alas one slip and i am soaked, talk about cold. I know this sounds off subject but bare with me. I made it back to the car,got out of those wet waders and clothes, it just happen to have a dry shirt form some where, thats all i had on going home. From then on i never left home without a backpack with every thing i would need or not need, but food was one the no one items, my list cambell s beanne weenies 3 cans cheese crakers, cambells tom. soup beef jerkey little debbies, one flask of j&b. one camp stove , littl epot for heating, hot choclate seaqsonal frezzed dried pot. my list i am never without it . regards YellowHammer

a*-------
Old 05-30-2009, 07:00 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

As guide I keep the cooler well stocked.

Sandwiches for clients
Cold chicken legs for me( it does not take long for the guides to have their fill of sandwiches for the season)
Cookies
Candy bars
Jerky
Assorted chips
Cokes
Water

Copenhagen long cut and Camel lights(again for me, but I'll share if asked)

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Water, usually frozen in a hydropack.

One (or two, if my vest isn't too laden down) beers, also half-frozen to keep them cold.

A not-necessarily good, but big cigar - the quality I use on a golf course.

A burrito of some sort that I generally pick up in a gas station shop on the way to the water.

Some jerky, although I'm running out of my favorite - some buffalo jerky I picked up in the Grand Tetons area.

And generally a pack of peanuts, along with a small flask of Bourbon if it's cool enough to forget about the frozen beer!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like my kinda fishing buddy!
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Smoked Almonds
Portugese Sardines
Flask of Makers or Woodfords
(1) Ashton Maduro
depending on weather; a small thermos of good coffee or ice-cold water
If I need a good lunch then it's a thermos of Italian Wedding Soup
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
sounds like my kinda fishing buddy!
Kind'a what I've been thinking. We need to do a New Mexico fly-fishing thing!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
Smoked Almonds
Portugese Sardines
Flask of Makers or Woodfords
(1) Ashton Maduro
depending on weather; a small thermos of good coffee or ice-cold water
If I need a good lunch then it's a thermos of Italian Wedding Soup
Racine, I need to be fishing with you (if you're paying for all this great stuff).
Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Fly2fish,
Usually, I enjoy this by myself but lately, I find my buddies drink most of the bourbon/coffee, eat all the sardines/nuts and want me to bring extra stoogies, so next time I'm bringing the bottle, more beans, and maduros...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

new mexico is just now shaping up in most places. the gila is fishing well right now, and i'm heading that way for a few days asap. good 3wt backcountry! they don't call it the gila wilderness for nothin'!

the conejos river along the nm/co border between taos and alamosa is fishing well already, which usually means great stonefly and salmon fly action this time of year! so i'll probably be looking north here shortly.

but june 22nd i have to head to glen rose, tx, to spend some time w/allen crise, returning the 24th. then i'm heading for the south gulf coast until just before the hordes descend for the 4th of july.

then i'm wide open until the fff conclave the end of july.

the san juan is doing their heavy flow thing. so everybody is throwing "junk" up there right now and wade fishing is very limited. the cimarron below eagle's nest lake (up by angel fire) is HOT. nothing else in nm is really fishing all that well right now.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
Fly2fish,
Usually, I enjoy this by myself but lately, I find my buddies drink most of the bourbon/coffee, eat all the sardines/nuts and want me to bring extra stoogies, so next time I'm bringing the bottle, more beans, and maduros...
Makers or Woodford, now that's my kind of action. Probably better if I don't fish with you, because we wouldn't get any fishing done (but some great Bourbon-driven fishing stories . . .).