The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default fly fishing comfort food/drinks

most of us who have been at this long enough to get past counting and measuring all of our fish have developed a few eccentricities we almost consider necessities when we go fishing. it may be a snack, a smoke, a chew, or a beverage. but most of us have some comfort item that we somehow feel a day on the water is incomplete without. many of us develop an assortment of these favorites over time that would seem really strange, if not annoying, to the uninitiated.

for me, if i'm making a whole day of it, my packing list will definitely include the following comfort items:

payday candybar (or 2)
marlboro light 100s
small flask of speyburn single malt scotch

if i'm really feeling like i need a little something extra, i may also take along 1 or more of the following:

a couple of import beers
summer sausage or cold fried chicken
those cajun spiced peanuts
1 of the single-serving "homemade" chocolate eclair pies from wal-mart

what's on your list?
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 05-20-2009, 10:35 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: fly fishing comfort food/drinks

I like this thread! Good idea Ken!

As for me, I like to bring either a purple, white, or blue Gatorade/Powerade and Bold Chex Mix! (with the black packaging) I sometimes bring sunflower seeds to put in my chest pack for while I am walking around.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

A big jug of water or gatorade, a big bag of beef jerky and or trail mix, a buddy and if it's cold out a big bottle of booze.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Shake is on a distinguished road

Well it used to be a fresh tin of Copenhagen long cut, but I haven't had a chew since January 1st. Fishing without Cope is going to be tough.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Well I always bring the following:
Water
Some Dr. Pepper
American Spirits Blue pack
Beef Jerky
Some form of lunch (usually a sandwich and some chips)
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Always:
Lots of water
1-2 packs of sandwich crackers
1-2 packs of peanuts (both from the handy $.50 section above the chips here in Frito-Lay-land)
Can of Mint Grizzly

Sometimes:
Flask of Famous Grouse if its cool/cold out.
A piece of smoked dry venison sausage (when I can get it)
A few beers- need to use the items below together more often

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Water
Beef Jerky (the spicer, the better)
Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen
Small Chocolate Bar (for a burst of energy to go along with the protein)
Sandwich (usually turkey or ham)

If it be cold, a flask of coffee.

I don't imbibe myself until AFTER I'm done fishing. I've found that, in fly fishing, you usually carry around enough **** just to fish. I don't like feeling like a pack mule flailing away with a stick. On my spring/Fall fishing trips with the boys, we bring between 2-3 cases of beer (corona or something like that) and a bottle of Canadian Mist...bad stuff, will kill ya...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

ah, yes, in my case the beers would be for after fishing, too. but i have been known to enjoy a nip or 2 from the flask during smoke breaks on-stream.

water? doesn't that go without saying? i wear a camelbak most of the time. if not, i'm using my fanny pack, which holds 2 plastic bottles.

i'm somewhat of a minimalist. so i don't actually carry much with me while fishing. and i carry as little as possible while hiking in/out. but i can sneak a small flask and a payday into even the pocket of a fishing shirt if i'm not carrying any sort of pack. and i almost never carry a net. i have had to take up carrying a wading staff; however, thanks to deteriorating balance resulting from all those knocks on the noggin.

my favorite fishing buddy will not even consider going fishing without a very specific summer sausage and cheese, and either some bread or crackers to stack it on. he tosses it in a lunchmate cooler alongside a couple of beers and a couple diet rite sodas (usually an orange and a grape) and a kitchen knife. the summer sausage is from a german meat market "back home" where he lived and worked for 30 years before retiring a few years ago. and he never seems to run out, because he never misses an opportunity to fish for lack of sausage. i think fishing with larry is the thing i miss most about having to leave the ozarks last fall. and i like to think that it is not because of the german sausage and beer we shared for lunch.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Always:
Lots of water
1-2 packs of sandwich crackers
1-2 packs of peanuts (both from the handy $.50 section above the chips here in Frito-Lay-land)
Can of Mint Grizzly

Sometimes:
Flask of Famous Grouse if its cool/cold out.
A piece of smoked dry venison sausage (when I can get it)
A few beers- need to use the items below together more often

we're gonna have to make a trip to the coast, cliff...especially if you can bring that scottish ale!
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
we're gonna have to make a trip to the coast, cliff...especially if you can bring that scottish ale!
Its pretty thick, strong stuff- 8%, Dale's Pale goes down much easier. Oskar Blues: Our Beer (Restaurant & Brewery - Lyons, Colorado)

I'm generally fishing for trout during weather fitting that brew.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.