The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Need help buying Fly Line

The more I read the more confused I get. Your input and expertise as to what line I should consider would be much appreciated.
I'm looking to buy fly line to put on my TFO, Jim Teeny, 4 wt. I got this rod to fish the smaller rivers and streams of the western Sierras. It will be used mostly for nymphs with an occassional dry terestrial.
Here are some things making me scratch my head. One line ad says everyone should have a sinking line. Another says best all around trout line (I fish for trout mostly). I feel that I'm too new to justify the expense/no finese feel (mine, not the line, lol) of one like Sharkskin. Floating; sinking; sink tips; WF; DT ?????
I'm just really getting confused. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help buying Fly Line

Jimmy: For the fishing you do you don't need a sinking tip or sinking line. A full sinking line is primarily used for stillwater fishing. A sinking tip can be used for stillwater (shallows) or river fishing, but I primarily use sinking tips when throwing streamers. For your purposes, get either a WF (weight forward) or DT (double taper) floating line. You definitely do not need to spend money on Sharkskin, that is designed for high line speeds during casting resulting in long casts, which you don't need on small streams. You need a line the will cast out and land softly and float nicely. When I nymph fish I use a floating line with a 7 1/2 ft to 15 ft leader (shorter leaders for streams longer for stillwater) or I go to a sinking line. I primarily fish large rivers/stillwater, so hopefully someone else on the forum that fishes small streams will chime in with a good recommendation for a floating line for small streams. If you have a choice spend the money on a good fly line and skimp on the fly reel. Good luck.

Larry
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jimmie,

Larry's right and if you have ever read any of my posts about lines you know I use DT and I like grey color lines. A nice Dk. olive is my next choice but I'm DT all the way. If you need to get a fly down use a little longer leader and a BB size shot. The DT will mend great for you and you can better control a wet fly if you can mend well.

A.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For that rod and your stated purposes, a Scientific Anglers GPX or a Rio Grand will be a great fit.

Want some FF bling? Buy the Sharkskin GPX and listen to it zing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

jimmie,

you can always try this: Scientific Anglers Fly Line Selector Tool

but for what you just said, i can tell you i would go with a scientific anglers mastery series weight forward floating 4wt TROUT taper. the gpx is a fine line, and mostly what i use. but on a 4wt fishing small streams, primarily nymphing and tossing some terrestrials now and then, i'd go with the trout taper. i used to fish with them quite a bit, and still have some in smaller weights. this taper line will give u 1 additional benefit over the gpx: it's a bit better at presenting small and dry flies for newer casters in spite of being designed to handle heavier nymph and indicator rigs. u'll like it.

also, as for your statement about being a newbie and finding it hard to justify spending big $$$ on a fly line, i'll just say 2 things:

1. scientific anglers is a sponsor of mine and i'm no beginner, but i won't buy a sharkskin line either! lol

2. proportionally speaking, for all freshwater fly fishing you should spend more on a fly line than any other piece of tackle. in other words, you can buy a cheap rod and a cheap reel, but don't skimp on fly lines. expect to spend $50 or more every time. but don't ever spend $100! that's just nutz.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

im pretty new to this too, and i am looking at a new line, thinking WF, to replace the standard floating line currently on it, to see if it helps my casting. But, cost is always an issue with me, so i tend to do alot of research. I found Cabelas Prestige line to 'sound' good and look good on paper, and at $30-$40 the price is right. The one i am lookin at has a color change about 30' out. Any one use this line? I could go by the reveiws on the site, but im a little to skeptical for that.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That was huge. You guys made the choices clear. Thank You everyone. I'll let you know which line I get. You guys helped narrow it down to a coin flip. Definitely be "floating".
I love this place.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road

Jimmie -

I'm pretty new as well and have the previously recommended Scientific Anglers GPX WF line on my 9' 5wt. It casts and feels great!!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Spencer View Post
Jimmie -

I'm pretty new as well and have the previously recommended Scientific Anglers GPX WF line on my 9' 5wt. It casts and feels great!!
Thanks Scott. Appreciate that.