The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: JC and FAOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
Think maybe you should delete this?
i think you missed the point, or perhaps you believe that people should lie about stuff to keep it sounding all rosy and perfect. but i said that i honor jc's passing for his very significant contributions to fly fishing in spite of some bad personal experiences with him (which were by no means unique or peculiar to ME). i said i am a better angler because of him. i think that makes my statement even a stronger statement in his honor than had i ignored the negative side of jc that nearly everyone knows was there and acted like he was a saint just because he died.

i, for one, am saddened at his passing even though i've known it wasn't far off for the past year or so. but all of us are a mix of positive and negative traits. and jc was a man of very strong examples of both. and that is how he should be remembered.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
Think maybe you should delete this?
Give one good reason he should.
For years I didn't get along with Castwell/Birkholm. I was banned twice for saying what I thought, and it didn't sit well with him. We had disagreements, and instead of talking or pm'ing me, I would get banned.
I agree, that he ran a lot of people off. It's a fact. I do think it was a medication thing though. Over the past two years I (under a different name) would post. JC wasn't dumb and I think he knew who I was. It ain't hard to check your ISP #'s. He did seem to change over the past year- a little less tunnelvision if you will. He started to bend and look at things from other sides. Although I didn't agree with him on a lot of things, I did respect him and what he did for the average fly angler and the sport in itself with FAOL and the Fish-In's. He and the Mrs. did create a great & unique family oriented site with a hell of a lot of good advice, articles, flies and great contests and forum (although it's just sometimes a little too sappy for me)
I for one will miss the guy. The world needs people like Jim Castwell.
RIP Mr. Birkholm
Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Give one good reason he should.
For years I didn't get along with Castwell/Birkholm. I was banned twice for saying what I thought, and it didn't sit well with him. We had disagreements, and instead of talking or pm'ing me, I would get banned.
I agree, that he ran a lot of people off. It's a fact. I do think it was a medication thing though. Over the past two years I (under a different name) would post. JC wasn't dumb and I think he knew who I was. It ain't hard to check your ISP #'s. He did seem to change over the past year- a little less tunnelvision if you will. He started to bend and look at things from other sides. Although I didn't agree with him on a lot of things, I did respect him and what he did for the average fly angler and the sport in itself with FAOL and the Fish-In's. He and the Mrs. did create a great & unique family oriented site with a hell of a lot of good advice, articles, flies and great contests and forum (although it's just sometimes a little too sappy for me)
I for one will miss the guy. The world needs people like Jim Castwell.
RIP Mr. Birkholm
2nded. I never quite got banned, but got a few "whatever did we do before BigCliff showed up" comments out of him. A bit of a curmudgeon, but one that did WAY more good than bad for this sport.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.