The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   JC and FAOL (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/9571-jc-faol.html)

Rip Tide 05-22-2009 01:59 PM

JC and FAOL

Any expatriates on this site from FAOL might want to stop by over there to check out the news

Joni 05-22-2009 07:22 PM

Re: JC and FAOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 60548)
Any expatriates on this site from FAOL might want to stop by over there to check out the news

Sorry wrong button, but on the subject....SHOCKING! and that really sucks.

Rip Tide 05-22-2009 08:04 PM

It does suck, Goddess
The man was a giant in our little on-line community.
I've had nothing but the highest of respect, especially in the last year or so.
I think he'll be sorely missed

Joni 05-22-2009 08:09 PM

I feel exactly the same way. Had my differences once but as the years went by, we saw more eye to eye

GeorgeMcFly 05-22-2009 11:31 PM

I seen this also. I am at a loss for words. my prayers go out to ladyfisher and the family. RIP JC! maybe one day we can meet at the big river in the sky! :icon_cry:

BigCliff 05-23-2009 10:15 AM

It is a huge loss to our sport. I was in the large club that Castwell squabbled with over the years, but the man deserved alot of respect for his contributions over the years. I basically learned to tie from that site.

flyguy66 05-23-2009 10:40 AM

i was recruited as a columnist over there by deanna and wrote for them for 4 years. i interacted with them extensively. we always saw eye-to-eye on fly fishing issues, so i never had any arguments with them until i got involved with project healing waters. but i saw jc run off a lot of people who really didn't need to be run off. he was very much a "my way or the highway" kind of guy with a short fuse. it was his biz, and he had a right to be that way, though. he and deanna argued about that from time to time...for what it's worth. but another member there, betty hiner, began slandering veterans of iraq and afghanistan and saying that programs like project healing waters were "babying" them unnecessarily. i got pretty upset by that and took issue with her in the forums about it. i was blunt, but not abusive. she got very abusive and attacked me directly and repeatedly. eventually, i responded to her once more and jc threw me off the forum. i emailed him about it and he replied. in that reply, he said that he agreed with betty and that my responses to her were disrespectful of her age...something he would not tolerate. personally, i felt that dishonoring wounded warriors and disabled people was far worse and deserved condemnation. so i wore my banishment as a badge of honor. my columns are still a part of the feature content over there.

i lost all personal respect for jc over that, but my professional respect for his contributions to the world of fly fishing still endure. he and deanna are giants in the fly fishing world. and their impact on the sport and culture shall endure long after their passing. deanna is a gem of a person. and jim's life and work as a fly angler shall always be something i honor. so, yes, the fly fishing world lost something of great value on thursday. and i am a better angler for having known him.

peregrines 05-23-2009 02:12 PM

Sad and shocking news...

mark

saltflytyer 05-23-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy66 (Post 60615)
i was recruited as a columnist over there by deanna and wrote for them for 4 years. i interacted with them extensively. we always saw eye-to-eye on fly fishing issues, so i never had any arguments with them until i got involved with project healing waters. but i saw jc run off a lot of people who really didn't need to be run off. he was very much a "my way or the highway" kind of guy with a short fuse. it was his biz, and he had a right to be that way, though. he and deanna argued about that from time to time...for what it's worth. but another member there, betty hiner, began slandering veterans of iraq and afghanistan and saying that programs like project healing waters were "babying" them unnecessarily. i got pretty upset by that and took issue with her in the forums about it. i was blunt, but not abusive. she got very abusive and attacked me directly and repeatedly. eventually, i responded to her once more and jc threw me off the forum. i emailed him about it and he replied. in that reply, he said that he agreed with betty and that my responses to her were disrespectful of her age...something he would not tolerate. personally, i felt that dishonoring wounded warriors and disabled people was far worse and deserved condemnation. so i wore my banishment as a badge of honor. my columns are still a part of the feature content over there.

i lost all personal respect for jc over that, but my professional respect for his contributions to the world of fly fishing still endure. he and deanna are giants in the fly fishing world. and their impact on the sport and culture shall endure long after their passing. deanna is a gem of a person. and jim's life and work as a fly angler shall always be something i honor. so, yes, the fly fishing world lost something of great value on thursday. and i am a better angler for having known him.

Think maybe you should delete this?

Rip Tide 05-23-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltflytyer (Post 60630)
Think maybe you should delete this?

Fairly common experience I think.
Nothing wrong with telling it like it is