The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on Pontoon boats

I am considering buying a one man pontoon boat, primarily for lake fishing in Colorado. I really don't know much about them, except what I have read online. I am not rich but also believe from experience that going cheap with fly fishing is unadvisable. Anyone have any advice on brands or features of pontoon boats? Much appreciated.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Advice on Pontoon boats

BJ, lots of different brands out there, you'll have to decide which is good for you. The only advice I have on pontoons is make sure they are at least 8 feet long; anything shorter is not very stable.

Dan
Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bret: Do a search for Renegade on the forum and you will see an indepth report that Mojo did on the NFO Renegade made by Dave Scadden. Then go to YouTube and do a search for Renegade pontoon, Rampage pontoon and Assault. They are amazing boats when you see what they can actually do.
Joni and Mojo have owned several different models of pontoon boats over the years and have settled on the NFO series as they are top of the line products.

Larry

Larry
Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 PM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

I can attest to versitility of the Scadden boats. I purchased the Skykomish model a few years back and just love it. It's classed for Class IV white water, not that I'm using it for that, but it can handel it. The best feature though, for me at least, is that it has a standing platform so I can fish sitting or standing. It's super stable either way. I can also get it unpacked out of the back of my Jeep and set up and fishable in 20 minutes, motor and all!! It was a bit pricey...but it'll pretty much do anything you need...and you get what you pay for, TOP quality.

Hope this helps.

-Mack
Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 AM

the_infidel will become famous soon enoughthe_infidel will become famous soon enough

mojo and joni convience me to get the Outlaw Avenger to go along with our Outlaw Renegade, cant beat either of them.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM

cahill1979 is on a distinguished road

Here are my top three I would consider, Bucks Bag River Ghost (it sits low in the water, has a hard padded seat and quad air chamber, 2. North Fork, Renegade, can be packed into a lake, light, easy set up, 3. North Fork X5, for those who like the hard deck and standing platform, stripping apron. Just my 2cents.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I got a classic Accessories pontoon for 249.00 last year to fish the local lakes here. Great boat for the money. sportsman's guide sells them
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..