The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 04:47 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Drift Boat Anchoring (using a pulley to help)

Drift Boat Owners,

I had put a thread up for discussion sometime back regarding drift boat anchoring. I own a Hyde LH Signature Aluminum. I did some research for adding a "easy-pulley system" on the rear anchor. The cost, at least in my mind, was way too high for a small pulley & quick link from both Hyde or Clackacraft. (each has their own system, which look almost identical) Having been in engineering for 25+ years I decided to make my own from what I was able to see on their websites. I took my Hyde out today to give my design a test. The one item I kept running into was that the ropes kept getting twisted, thus making retrival impossible. Do any of you have either of these "easy" systems on your boat ? Does your rope twist as well? (my system looks exactly like the one on each website) Not sure why it is twisting ?? Any thoughts ??? I'm certainly open to ideas & comments.

Tie One On
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drift Boat Anchoring (using a pulley to help)

Can you post some photos so we can see what you have, maybe your pulley is a little too small. The reason I mention this is that when I take mine apart (I did that last year to get more anchor rope out for lake fishing. My system won't hold when the high winds come up). Anyway, I noticed that as I tried to pull the know end through the pulley I couldn't make it go and ended up cutting it off. The rope had swelled up through twisting, anyway, just a thought. I'll take some photos of my setup tomorrow.

Larry
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

I own a Hyde Aluminum boat that had the "Easy Pull" anchor system that Hyde manufactures. I have removed the system because of several personal preferences but one of them was the twisting of the anchor rope as you pull it up, especially from deep water. My main reason for removing the system though is because even though it is easier to pull up the anchor with the system it takes twice as much work because you are pulling up twice as much rope as you do with a standard system. I don't think there is a perfect solution to anchoring and you have to take the good with the bad of each system.

Biggie
Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I wonder what type of rope you are using. If you are using a laid rope you might want to try a braided rope. The braided rope should be less likely to twist. It is also easier on the hands.

Frank

Laid Rope
Click the image to open in full size.

Braided Rope.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all who responded. If it twists with the Hyde system, then I do not believe I engineered my wrong.

Frank- I do have a braided anchor rope. The one that came with the boat was too short for my liking. (it was maybe 20'-25') I stopped at Cabelas on the way back into Michigan from an Ohio trip. They had a 100' anchor rope at a good price. I ended up cutting the rope in half & used each 50' piece for both front/rear anchors. Plus when I take the Hyde on some of the smaller lakes near home I can anchor in deeper water if needed.

I removed the system I designed while I was on the river yesterday & hooked it back up normally. I'll be giving it some more thought before I decide to re-use that system, better known as re-design (maybe. The parts for mine were less than $10, so I'm not out that much)

Thanks again for you comments. That's what I truly like about this forum. People willing to share. Maybe it's the love for the Quiet Sport that helps to cross boundaries. Enjoy you time on or in the water my friends, it's a gift we've been given by the Creator.

Tie One On
Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

tie one on: That is a good idea about getting a longer rope. I was having the same issue with the anchor rope that came with my used drift boat, I couldn't get the anchor to hold in the winds while lake fishing. I ended up buying a new spike anchor (much heavier) from Hyde with a new anchor rope. Yesterday, I installed the new rope on the rear but before I did I layed both ropes out on the lawn and found that the Hyde rope was approx 50 in length which was about 15-20 ft longer than my old rope. I plan on using the old system to anchor the bow while lake fishing.

Larry