The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 09:57 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to STARMedic
Default Where do I start....

Guys I apologize if this is an overly asked Q, What would recommendations for a first rig be. Ive recieved so many recommendations from people that it ended up being kind of confusing. From what Ive gathered the best bet for my location would be something in a 8wt, 9ft. I will for the most part be learning on a lake here for bass and panfish, and when possible making trips to rivers for trout. Id like to find something that I wont grow out of too quickly, but is forgiving enough to work with me through the learning curve.

If I havent provided enough information regarding the what, where, how and why, lemme know and I will get the info up....

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Old 03-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: Where do I start....

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMedic
Guys I apologize if this is an overly asked Q, What would recommendations for a first rig be. Ive recieved so many recommendations from people that it ended up being kind of confusing. From what Ive gathered the best bet for my location would be something in a 8wt, 9ft. I will for the most part be learning on a lake here for bass and panfish, and when possible making trips to rivers for trout. Id like to find something that I wont grow out of too quickly, but is forgiving enough to work with me through the learning curve.If I havent provided enough information regarding the what, where, how and why, lemme know and I will get the info up....Thanks in advance.Bruce
Unless the bass you are after are all fifteen pounds and the panfish fit in a very LARGE pan, I would definately shy away from the eight or nine weight. Also, going after the trouties with that large of a rod would be no fun.

For bass, pans, and then going after trout, I personally would recommend a six weight. It is a capable fighter for larger waters and fish but will also leave some feel to it when a fish is on, even one that is less then large. Nine foot would do the trick.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Knowing your location, I would go much lighter. Those streams around you, like the Nueces, Medina, Frio, and Upper Guadalupe are full of fish that can be amply handled with a 4 wt. A 4 wt is perfect for most trout fishing on the Guadalupe as well.

If you want something that will throw slightly bigger bugs for bass over 1lb, I would go with a 6wt. This will work better for bigger bass bugs and also would work well if you want to fish streamers down deep on the Guad.

On the other hand, if most of your fishing will be for bigger bass from a boat on Amistad or Falcon, then yes, a 9ft 8wt would be the way to go. You will usually have wind to contend with on those big lakes and the 8wt will combat that very well. It will be your go to rod on the coast as well, should you venture down there.

My best suggestion would be to get either a 5wt or an 8wt, as you'll eventually want both to fish all that's available in your area. If it were me, I would get a 5wt first since those streams are easier to go fish than the places you would use the 8wt. (By easier I mean not having to drive as far or arrange for a boat to use on the lakes.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

An 8 or 9wt will be kinda hard to learn on. A 5 or 6 would be much better. A more moderate (medium) action would also be best for a person learning how to cast. Both Curtis and BigCliff make some excellent points. You will never outgrow a 5 or 6wt rod. There will always be uses for these.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:56 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to STARMedic

Thanks for all the info. Im definitely planning to head towards the coast for fishing as I will be teaching Tactical EMS and Battlefield Trauma in the Kingsville area pretty soon. Some of the best fishing I did was for specks and reds in the La deltas and off the beaches of Fourchon and Grand Isle when I was there using light tackle. Im hopin it will be the same kinda fun if it can be done on fly...

Bruce
Old 03-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

When that time comes, you definitely will want an 8-weight for the salt ... For now, I would be content with a 5-weight, a nice compromise between a 4 and 6.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

I would have to say a 8 weight set up is to much rod for a begginer,unless you are primarly fishing large game in wind with super heavy flies,a heavy 8 weight in begginers hands may cause bad casting habits that may affect your casting for years to come,I know from experience,I would say a 6 wt is the most versitile and can handle almost any fishing situation,a great place to start,4 and 5 wt's maybe better suited to trout fishing on smaller water but i think a 6 is a great all around choice for learning.

tight lines
aaron
Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 PM

jsquare is on a distinguished road

I live in Texas and fish a variety of waters including rivers, lakes and ponds. My main targets are bass and panfish. I also get to fish Colorado. I have both a 5wt and an 8wt. I use my 5wt 99% of the time. I keep a spool with floating line and another with an intermediate line. This covers most of the situations.

When I want to throw large deerhair bugs, large deceivers or fish the coast, I break out the 8wt.