The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bamboo Just Rocks!!!!

Since my Lew Parks 7' 4wt split cane rod arrived, I dream about the thing at
night!

I had to test it on the crappie this afternoon, and caught one that was
worth a pic and some video:

Click the image to open in full size.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
They never seem as big in the pics, but this crappie was at least a foot
long, pushing 13". My hands are large to the point that gloves don't fit, and
my boots are a size 13, so that might add some perspective.

P.S.: That particular wooly bugger has been catching fish for the past month. It's very unusual for one to last that
long, but this sucker just wants to keep going.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 PM

Riverphish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bamboo Just Rocks!!!!

I'll have to agree with you about bamboo, Frank. Although I've never caught crappie on one (the trout in the river were always hitting while they were biting in the lake and... well, you know...) I have caught a 13" BLUEGILL tho... and what a trip he took me on!

He was the size of a dinner platter and I was in a float tube on a pond. He towed me around for a good five minutes and I was laughing so hard I couldn't reel him in. Three of my buddies were with me and we all just cracked up when we saw how big that thing was.

At any rate, YES! 'Boo ROCKS! Keep fishing it and enjoy it...

best,
Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great pic and fish, glad you enjoy the rod so much.
One day I'll add a bamboo to my collection
Bear
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys,
I wanted a bamboo rod ever since reading Trout Bum, but thought they
were too pricey, and might not perform well. I can honestly say that this
rod casts itself, and in the 2 hours I fished this afternoon, there wasn't a single bad cast. It loads just right, and the line lands like a feather.
I used a #8 Muddler (dry) for the last 30 minutes, and was surprised to see
that the rod handled it just fine. Leader was an 8.5' 4x. The rod weighs 3.3oz
on my digital scale: 2.8oz for the butt section, and .5oz for the tip. The butt
section is hollow built, and bends progressively while maintaining some nice
backbone.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I'm not surprised by your comments on casting the Boo. I am convinced that in Eight feet and under rods, boo done right is the best material. My Tom Ciemiega has more reserve power then any Graphite in the same size class and it tracks better, is more accurate and it is easier to put a fly down softly. The only disadvantage is cost, and perhaps durability, but as more and more production high end graphite's approach 750$ I'm not sure that is as big of an issue either.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hey Guys,
I wanted a bamboo rod ever since reading Trout Bum, but thought they
were too pricey, and might not perform well. I can honestly say that this
rod casts itself, and in the 2 hours I fished this afternoon, there wasn't a single bad cast. It loads just right, and the line lands like a feather.
I used a #8 Muddler (dry) for the last 30 minutes, and was surprised to see
that the rod handled it just fine. Leader was an 8.5' 4x. The rod weighs 3.3oz
on my digital scale: 2.8oz for the butt section, and .5oz for the tip. The butt
section is hollow built, and bends progressively while maintaining some nice
backbone.
If you liked that book you ought to get Sex, Death, and Flyfishing also Where the Brook Trout are as long as your Leg. I have every book John G. has out and love them .
Bear
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Hi Burk,
That's a nice rod and reel! They're just so much more interesting to see.
Regarding price, here's the rod I bought/won: [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190307217051&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported]Lew Parks Rod[[/ur] If you scroll through his feedback, it's all for rods he's built.
Some use the BIN, while others meet his reserve of $600 (me ). That's a
lot of happy campers! I'm bidding on one of his 8' 5wt's right now.....

I completely agree with you about materials in a smaller rod. I have a few
other graphite 7'6" graphite 4wt's, and they can't touch this rod in terms
of accuracy, delicacy, smoothness, and maybe even distance. One cost just
under $700 .

Hi Bear,
Trout Bum is the only Gierach book I own, and the first I read. I discovered
that the local library has nearly all of his books!!! There are a couple of his
books that I would like to keep in my collection, however.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 AM

Frank,
You'll love every one bud, I have read all mine at least 2 times.
Still you and Ard are getting REALLY wanting a boo again lol
Both pics, your crappie and rod and Ard's rod and reel look so good.
Bear
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics and congrats on your rods gentlemen. They're beautiful.

mark
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Hey Burk,
I forgot to ask about the specs on your splendid (required diction now) rod.
That's a nice trout BTW.

Hi Mark,
I think I'm going to move the TV, and stare at my rod instead .

P.S.: I missed up the link to my rod, so here it is again: CLICK HERE